Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[High Poly] HK 416 D 5.56mm

alex_kim
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
alex_kim polycounter lvl 2

Well, I understand that this is not good enough for Junior Job Portfolio for the game industry ;_;
I guess I have to try again.

Here are some points that I need to improve:

1. Normal map- I tried.. But, it always ended up some kind of melted chocolate gun. ;_;
2. Material
3. Animation oriented modeling: This modeling is not for the animation such as reloading which is not good.

The good news is.. that well, at least, I feel satisfied.  I never completed such object with such quality.
Maybe this is not good enough for now. But, next time, I will get it. :-)

For right now.. I really really have to study maps and materials. I guess I need to challenge something simpler, and smaller.

Any other suggestion or opinion?

It is fine to criticize.

Replies

• Polygoblin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polygoblin polycounter
    You have a good attitude, keep at it. I can see you have a good eye for shape, just need to sharpen your fundamentals. 

Work on getting a solid normal map baked. This starts with an efficient and attractive high poly, and ends with an properly optimized low poly with ideal topology. Try smaller exercises to work on map baking and texture work. 

Also there are hard curves around areas of the gun that have smoother ergonomic surfaces irl. Ergonomics are super important in weapon work as it shows how the user would relate to it. Grips, cheekrests, charging handles, etc all need to look comfortable to use at all times. 

Also think about putting more work into where two objects adjoin. Parts of a gun are never just intersected. Selling adjoining areas effectively goes a long way to making a gun asset look authentic. That goes for all hardsurface work, really. 
  • alex_kim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alex_kim polycounter lvl 2
    You have a good attitude, keep at it. I can see you have a good eye for shape, just need to sharpen your fundamentals. 

Work on getting a solid normal map baked. This starts with an efficient and attractive high poly, and ends with an properly optimized low poly with ideal topology. Try smaller exercises to work on map baking and texture work. 

Also there are hard curves around areas of the gun that have smoother ergonomic surfaces irl. Ergonomics are super important in weapon work as it shows how the user would relate to it. Grips, cheekrests, charging handles, etc all need to look comfortable to use at all times. 

Also think about putting more work into where two objects adjoin. Parts of a gun are never just intersected. Selling adjoining areas effectively goes a long way to making a gun asset look authentic. That goes for all hardsurface work, really. 
    Thanks for your opinion.

Yes, I am working on a simple pistol for now. So, I can understand about normal map and materials. 

I guess I have to study about gun itself; name of parts, roles, why it matters, how it connect each other, and animation... 

So far, mine seems like a fake gun for displaying not for shooting.