Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

The Farm (Minimalism Scene)

JJobson98
vertex
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
JJobson98 vertex
My first try at a minimalistic scene, not overly happy with the outcome and it can use work, but I think it’s okay for a start.

model

Replies

• Alemja
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja quad damage
    I think I have some pointers for you

Normally minimalism is a very purposeful aesthetic: how can you convey the most with the least amount of information? I look at your scene it it doesn't feel minimal so much as it feels unfinished, here is why:
    • There is some texture detail on some models, but not on others
    • The texture detail varies in frequency, the hay bails have far more texture than the rest, making it all look unfinished
    • You have some scaling issues, the hay bails are huge! it makes the barn feel small.
    • The road is floating about the green grass which just looks a little sloppy.
    • The color scheme has everything over-saturated and bright, it would look better with some hue shifts.

If you want to go for minimalism I think there are some things to consider:
    • Select a limited color palette
    • Set rules for how you want things to look, this applies to everything from scale to shapes and textures.

Here are some good examples of minimal 3d work:

model
    model
    https://www.artstation.com/artwork/JDoDv
    https://www.artstation.com/artwork/23Vzy
    https://www.artstation.com/artwork/km5Dl
    https://ooblets.com/

You can see for each of these, how there is a very distinct visual style even though they would all fall under the banner of "minimal"
    I did a minor paint over of part of your scene, which I think shows how a simple hue-shift can make it look more interesting:

I hope you find this helpful!
  • JJobson98
    Offline / Send Message
    JJobson98 vertex
    Oh, thank you, yeah that was more than helpful! Thank you so much 
  • JJobson98
    Offline / Send Message
    JJobson98 vertex
    @Alemja

So I gave it a go, minimalising my colour pallet, and honestly prefer it how it was, but gave me a chance to try something new, obviously it's not brilliant as it's my first time doing it and I know it'll take practice, but it was good to try something new. 

model
  • Alemja
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja quad damage
    If you wanted to try a nighttime scene this works, except the barn is the same brightness and it throws off the whole scene a little bit. Just a note, just because some of the example scenes are monochromatic, doesn't mean you have to monochromatic as well, the color palette can be limited in other ways.

Something I also forgot to mention the first time around, is that I think your scene is too big, creating a lot of empty space that isn't very interesting. Shrinking the space and rearranging some of the pieces could help make it more interesting. The question that should be ask is what is the focus of the scene? Once you figure out that, you can arrange things in such a way that your attention is directed towards the main focal point.
  • JJobson98
    Offline / Send Message
    JJobson98 vertex
    Alemja said:
    If you wanted to try a nighttime scene this works, except the barn is the same brightness and it throws off the whole scene a little bit. Just a note, just because some of the example scenes are monochromatic, doesn't mean you have to monochromatic as well, the color palette can be limited in other ways.

Something I also forgot to mention the first time around, is that I think your scene is too big, creating a lot of empty space that isn't very interesting. Shrinking the space and rearranging some of the pieces could help make it more interesting. The question that should be ask is what is the focus of the scene? Once you figure out that, you can arrange things in such a way that your attention is directed towards the main focal point.
    Yeah I decided to go for a nighttime-ish scene, and I know that to but as my first try I thought they would be good inspiration as it's my first go at it. And originally there was going to be more in the scene but never had the time to add such details. 
  • radumitroi
    Offline / Send Message
    radumitroi polycounter lvl 6
    I have no experience when it comes to such scenes, but I think a website such as Adobe Kuler or Paletton might help you when it comes to generate and play with different color schemes.
  • JJobson98
    Offline / Send Message
    JJobson98 vertex
    I have no experience when it comes to such scenes, but I think a website such as Adobe Kuler or Paletton might help you when it comes to generate and play with different color schemes.
    Oh man I completely forgot about Paletton! Bookmarked for future use. Thank you.