Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

Update House in a tree_corrected composition

EVF
polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
EVF polycounter lvl 3
Because one day I would love to own one :)

first sketch, decided to change the perspective.

Replies

• razz
    Offline / Send Message
    razz polycounter lvl 9
    Nice change on the perspective. My one big annoyance now is that the house is facing left, so when it comes to composition it feels strange. Imagine if it was a character and you made him/her look towards the edge of the pic. You automatically wanna see where he's looking, but it's the edge and there's nothing there. That's the kind of feeling I'm getting from this too. All in all, I like the start, I'd just flip the the house and make sure the perspective is correct as the house seems to be leaning down quite a bit.
  • EVF
    Offline / Send Message
    EVF polycounter lvl 3
    @razz I see exactly what you mean, thanks for the feedback!
  • AlexKola
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexKola polycounter lvl 9
    razz said:
    Nice change on the perspective. My one big annoyance now is that the house is facing left, so when it comes to composition it feels strange. Imagine if it was a character and you made him/her look towards the edge of the pic. You automatically wanna see where he's looking, but it's the edge and there's nothing there. That's the kind of feeling I'm getting from this too. All in all, I like the start, I'd just flip the the house and make sure the perspective is correct as the house seems to be leaning down quite a bit.
    Sorry, Just wanted to chime in and offer conflicting feedback haha! 

So It's actually quite common to have the main character look off frame in an illustration. It can really make your subject stand out as the point of interest in the image especially when other elements are facing inward. 

But art is all subjective :P and rules are broken all the time anyways.Very cool tree house @EVF !

• EVF
    Offline / Send Message
    EVF polycounter lvl 3
    @AlexKola hey thanks for the support! but I must admit, those painting you posted are from masters, they know the rules by heart, and thus are allowed to break them, I feel I should have my fundamentals in check before breaking the rules.
    I do like my tree house tho, glad you do too :)
    A small update on it since you commented, corrected the falling perspective a bit:

• EVF
    Offline / Send Message
    EVF polycounter lvl 3