Home Animation Showcase & Critiques

Walk Cycle Feedback

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
RKirtlink polycounter lvl 7
Hey guys, I've been working on a walk cycle with a bigger character to practice weight and have reached a point where I'm not totally satisfied with it, but also not sure what to change or add to improve it. I'd really appreciate any feedback you guys have!

https://syncsketch.com/playground/ce97ab6d20ef480c9908b5208224e300#217020

P.S.
I had to upload an .avi to syncsketch since encoding my playblast added an extra 2 frames to the end and ruined the loop. Anyone know why that would happen?

Replies

• littlebro221
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Rkirtlink,
    I added one thing I thought would help it minorly.
    overall its pretty good, but I do see what you mean.
    I think the best thing that can be added is maybe some more ups and downs to the walk. I think it's the torso, and pelvis that needs a bit more downs and ups, not extremely just enough to give it that weight.
    you could also slow down the arm movement of the figure, and make it flex a bit. the shoulders bend but the arms don't, I think it should be opposite; to give it that strong arm weight feels beside the shoulders dictating where the arms go.  on that note, I looked at some references about people with some what the same builds, it looks to me that people like this usually have a bit of a shorter arm wave, (voice of a Norse god) BUT WITH GREATER FORCE. so it probably wouldn't hurt to see if the figure would work better with some more rigid torso movements.

hope you get to your desired destination dude.
  • Arturow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Arturow polycounter
    I don't know about that problem D:!! I am about to upload a walk too but I just make it like 10 seconds just to not have any type of problems with the playblack hahahaha , left you some notes :D gj!
  • brucemoose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brucemoose polycounter lvl 3
    Cool stuff, maybe extend the foot more on the contact and bring the ty down more, you can really push the down position.
  • _adamturnbull
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey great start! I added a couple of notes on Syncsketch. It feels like you're playing it a little too safe with the movement at the moment, I'd have more hip and shoulder rotation, and extend the leg out on the contact. Its hard to tell from the angle but maybe have him move side to side a little more on the hips (and above) to show that he is shifting his weight from one leg to the other
  • brucemoose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brucemoose polycounter lvl 3
    Also - Maybe this link will help you  http://www.anticz.com/Walks.htm