Home Career & Education

Website for beginners?

Hello there,

are there any websites for beginners somewhere? I would like to post my work and receive critique, but after checking the showcase section over here, I do not really think my artwork deserves a place next to all those amazing artists on here..., it is frustrating, because there are great artists posting their stuff everywhere I go..., no beginners whatsoever. I see no progress in my artwork and I think it has to do with critique in some way - I never receive any, but I think it is so important.

Please do not be mean. I am frustrated already.

Thank you.

Replies

• AGoodFella
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AGoodFella polycounter lvl 5
    Come one dude, just post it. You WANT talented people looking at your work and tearing it to bits.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Moved this to Career & Education. Please check the Stickies at the top, they're particularly applicable.
  • sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range

Ah...deleted my comment due too this thread being moved and I second Eric's advice. 

• jesusblasco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jesusblasco polycounter lvl 2
    Just post your stuff here, people will help you if you hard work.

Also it's great to post your art on Facebook groups, artstation ... :)

Maybe where you live there is a 3D community or something like that.
  • garcellano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garcellano greentooth
    I know what you mean. I remember posting my portfolio like around 2010 and got destroyed. Didn't post after until like 2012 lol when I redid my portfolio and felt comfortable I knew at least a little of what I was doing on environment art. Either way, just post your art. You'll get some feedback, no matter what.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    You're at the place where beginners come to grow.  Instead of being so worried about that much comparison, while it is understandable.  Post stuff even if you don't feel ready.

You can dig back into most of our accounts and find our crappy threads:
    http://polycount.com/discussion/116272/zbrush-hard-surface-sculpt-help-w-a-small-practice-piece#latest

• rohMizuno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    have you tried Facebook groups? It is a wonderful place to receive meaningless complements, but there is always some good souls that will end up giving you some constructive feedback.

But I second those guys, just post it here, nothing wrong with being a beginner, as long as you are polite I don't think ppl will bash your work to much..
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    "I know what you mean. I remember posting my portfolio like around 2010 and got destroyed."

What do you mean by "got destroyed" ?
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    Keani said:
    it is frustrating, because there are great artists posting their stuff everywhere I go..., no beginners whatsoever. I see no progress in my artwork and I think it has to do with critique in some way - I never receive any, but I think it is so important.

Please do not be mean. I am frustrated already.

Thank you.

You can still improve your art without having someone to personally remind you.

There are hundreds of art books, online resources etc that teach either modeling or just art fundamentals. Of course, critique is essential in igniting ones passions to correct flaws instead of repeating them, but the obsession of "if I don't get critique, I wont improve my art" needs to change.

And I don't say this to be mean, but the reality is art is already crowd. All markets are. Take into account that if one person wants attention, there's 1000 other beginner artists who say the same thing.