Home Career & Education

When a game goes from prototype to greenlit, what happens to the early assets?

JordanN
interpolator
Offline / Send Message
JordanN interpolator
Hypothetical scenario (may or may not reflect any current situation).

Imagine someone or a small group of people have built a game in private for 12 months. It's a real proof of concept that has fully rendered environments, interesting and uniquely fleshed out characters made for 3D, and a complicated story that brings cohesion to the world and gameplay.

It's not the final game, but there's a lot of art made for it might as well be.

Now imagine this is where a Publisher comes in. They like the prototype or have enough faith in it, that they're willing to turn it into a real game. 

From a publisher's point of view, do they consider it more efficient to pay for the new game to have completely remade assets from the ground up, or do they pay the developers to continue where they left off and the assets remain the same unless the developers make voluntary changes to it?

I'm aware some games have very crude origins that it's only reasonable for the Publisher to pay for a complete visual overhaul (i.e see this Bayonetta video). But what about assets that are more moderately fleshed out and are useable? 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgRUJqrBVIM

Replies

• Lt_Commander
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lt_Commander polycounter lvl 10
    I'd say that's up to the publisher and developer to decide, probably in the negotiation phase. Redoing assets takes time and money, weighing that against the need to redo or revamp the visual style is all going to get weighed into the decision making process on whether or not a game is worth publishing or what timeline/budget they're looking at.
  • marks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marks greentooth
    Realistically, at least 70% of those assets will go in the bin. Usually more.
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    marks said:
    Realistically, at least 70% of those assets will go in the bin. Usually more.
    Are the reasons closer to developers [after securing a publisher] now being more free to work on their game design, or is it because tech plays a role and every asset gets re-evaluated to match platform target?
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The reasons are myriad and situational, but the most basic explanation is that game dev is an iterative process, and content will be changed for various reasons throughout the course of development.
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amsterdam Hilton Hotel insane polycounter
    I've seen cases where entire blocs of prototype work are thrown in the garbage forever and I've seen cases where they get stubbed in as "temp" until eventually the game ships and they are still there. It really can go either way. Depends a lot on the schedule intensity, quality of the prototype work, specifications that get targeted later, early vs. later artistic direction, all kinds of considerations
  • Kevin Albers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Albers polycounter lvl 18
    On a AAA game:  the publisher is likely to assume that all the assets are OK and will be kept, until the publisher decides to change the narrative or some such, so that the assets are no longer needed for the game.  The developer is more likely to want to dump all the prototype assets, because they are often made in a 'clumsy' fashion, and no longer represent the game's production approaches.

On an Indie game: much more likely that the developer is planning to keep the assets, and simply make more of them in order to finish the game. 

In general, once the team knows how they want to make the assets for game, they try to stop throwing them away. Anything made while the team was 'figuring things out' can probably go away.
  • Chimp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chimp interpolator
    you just _dont_ do quality assets for a proof of concept / prototype. they're made with as little art as one can get away with and everyone from the devs to the 'publisher' are aware that its placeholder. cubes ftw.

to demonstrate intent for graphics, you do a self contained demonstration of intended visual style that essentially amounts to concept art even if it's a playable scene you can walk around. its a style guide you then give to the artists when that time comes.

point though is you wouldn't grind hard on those assets for a proof of concept.

A larger studio will keep all their assets from previous work around, so often they will prototype a future game using the last game's assets.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    Chimp said:
    you just _dont_ do quality assets for a proof of concept / prototype. they're made with as little art as one can get away with and everyone from the devs to the 'publisher' are aware that its placeholder. cubes ftw.

i think that depends a lot. e.g. on who's publishing and what's their involvement in the overall development. the more people involved and the farther from development they are, the more likely it is that they can't look past placeholder visuals. in my experience anyway.

especially if your game isn't some genre-redefining project where everyone can see the fresh new gameplay potential from miles away. what do you do if it's pseudo-cinematic egoshooter 5000? :)

• Chimp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chimp interpolator
    thomasp said:
    Chimp said:

i think that depends a lot. e.g. on who's publishing and what's their involvement in the overall development. the more people involved and the farther from development they are, the more likely it is that they can't look past placeholder visuals. in my experience anyway.

especially if your game isn't some genre-redefining project where everyone can see the fresh new gameplay potential from miles away. what do you do if it's pseudo-cinematic egoshooter 5000? :)

i find the opposite, that they greatly respect a developer's appropriate focus on functionality early on.