Home Adobe Substance

Substance looks way better in Designer than Marmoset Toolbag 3

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Auldbenkenobi polycounter lvl 11
Hey everyone,

So I've been learning Substance Designer, and I've made this Mandala pattern following a tutorial on Youtube and while I'm really pleased with it in Designer, in Marmoset it looks really flat and loses a lot of the detail that it had in Designer. I've looked online but I'm having difficulty finding anything in depth on presenting Substance Materials, so I was hoping someone might be able to point me in the right direction?

I'd love to have some really nice renders from Toolbag to showcase on my Portfolio (And futureproof myself once I start really getting into it)

Designer
Toolbag

Sorry if this has been asked a dozen times over, it's pretty late and I'm doing this before I head to bed. Thanks!

Replies

• lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    Looks like your maybe missing an AO map in marmoset?
    other then that you most likely have completely different lighting scenarios going on, which isnt helping.

also, make sure your using the same color space model in both programs (RGB, SRGB). 

I think the biggest lesson to take out from this always double check your stuff in marmoset as your working.
    I have two monitors, and my second one is almost always occupied by a marmoset scene to double check everything.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    As @lotet suggested : start by using the exact same display environment in both apps. Without that, any comparison or subjective calls as to which one looks "better" or "worse" would be 100% pointless.

And if you don't have access to the same environment for Designer and Toolbag : ask the makers of the two apps, directly. It's in their interest to provide customers with unified tools for a smooth workflow.
  • NoRank
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NoRank polycounter lvl 3
    To me it also looks like you're using roughness in the glossines place and you didn't check to invert it.
    The diffence may as well come be that you're not using AO (or maybe it's not too strong to show) and maybe you're using parallax in designer.
  • Auldbenkenobi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Admittedly, I didn't try and match the environment in both of them, so I'll do that later. I'm also finding that importing an Sbar into Toolbag, some of the maps are coming in red IE The Gloss and AO. There is actually an AO map on the screenshot up there, but as I said, it's not nearly as strong as it is in Substance. 

I'll have another stab at it when I get home from work tonight. @pior that hadn't occurred to me, I forget how approachable both companies are, so that's worth a try, thanks.

Also, has anyone else experienced issues with using Substance Materials made using the Substance Engine V6 being imported into Toolbag? When I try, it just doesn't load. I have to set the project to Substance Engine V5 and delete any nodes that aren't compatible with it (Which kind of defeats the purpose)
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Well, I didn't mean to say that you necessarily have  to contact them for something like this - Substance Painter and Toolbag3 can both load custom .hdri environments, so, setting up consistent lighting across both apps is quite trivial. 

I guess my point is : first, try to setup a consistent environment yourself (there are countless high quality hdri maps available online for free or cheap) - and if it proves to be difficult, then ask them :)

It sure wouldn't hurt for the apps to came with at least a few common skies though.
  • Auldbenkenobi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I could probably just take them out of Substance directly as well I guess :smile:

As I'll said, I'll have another stab at it tonight and see what kind of results I get.
  • Auldbenkenobi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Got it working and I'm happy with the results now. Thanks, guys! https://www.artstation.com/artwork/2Vzqv
  • rexo12
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rexo12 interpolator

Also, has anyone else experienced issues with using Substance Materials made using the Substance Engine V6 being imported into Toolbag? When I try, it just doesn't load. I have to set the project to Substance Engine V5 and delete any nodes that aren't compatible with it (Which kind of defeats the purpose)
    Yeah that happens to me too, I just export the bitmaps when I'm done and use those. 
  • gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    For my taste it actually looks not especially worse  in  Toolbag since it accentuates less  those apparently artificial  procedural cracks and makes a bit less  "graphical" appearance with this not so  too obvious  computer generated AO .    I would just erase a bit of polishness from  convex  corners with a bit of noise input and then bake a few subtle real time shadows within cracks /concaves .

Too bad Substance soft doesn't have a nice tool for that  directly .  Would love iray can do so.