Home Career & Education

Getting a job as a graduate and staying motivated/inspired

null
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Terran_x null
Hey Guys,  so I am pretty new here. Usually I just look at the beautiful work others are uploading. Anyway, I just wanted to ask if anyone has any tips for getting into the industry for students/graduates. I graduated last year in Computer Graphics and found that 3D modelling is what I enjoyed the most. However, after graduating, I found my self really demotivated to start any new projects. I think one of the biggest reasons were looking at my competition and just thinking that there is no way I can compete with that. 

If there are others that were once demotivated and found there way back, I would love to know what you did and how you did it. Here is my portfolio of what I had done during university.

http://hassan55.wixsite.com/myportfolio

- Terran

Replies

• aesir
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    I lost a lot of my motivation for a solid 7 years after graduating.  I only recently got it back.  Brains are weird!
  • jStins
    Offline / Send Message
    jStins interpolator
    I suggest you start off by reading this great article by Gavin Goulden. His advice is coming from a character art perspective. I get the impression that's what you want to do based on the content of your portfolio. So read it and take it to heart, even if it means facing the difficult reality that your work isn't there yet.

It will take time and effort for sure. Look at the inspiring work on Polycount and Art Station not as some mythical level of quality you'll never be able to reach, but as the level of quality that you need to / can hit with effort and focused practice. I suggest that you start by keeping scope narrow and emphasize quality and execution. Characters may be the end goal, but perhaps a small prop or weapon would be more achievable right now. Moving through production tasks relatively quickly at a good level of quality will help keep motivation up. But also remember that motivation is bull shit
  • Terran_x
    Offline / Send Message
    Terran_x null
    aesir said:
    I lost a lot of my motivation for a solid 7 years after graduating.  I only recently got it back.  Brains are weird!
    Haha damn! Yh you're right!
  • JordanN
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    Terran_x said:
     I found my self really demotivated to start any new projects. I think one of the biggest reasons were looking at my competition and just thinking that there is no way I can compete with that. 

I had this impression as well back in 2015. Especially when it came to the mudbox/zbrush stuff.  I almost tried to convince myself that I should just stick to just making simple stuff like Fire Hydrants or Oil Barrels.

But this thinking went away quickly when I realized I'm not a person who ever wants to set low standards. Especially because it creates a perception. If you want to receive recognition for your work  or back up your credentials that you are an industry level artist, then it becomes tantamount that you drop anything that is holding you back, and focus on creating models or paintings that clearly show a lot of time and effort went into it.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    @Terran_x
    Your portfolio's format makes me annoyed and frustrated trying to look at your work.

You need to drop Wix and get an artstation portfolio or build one just as simple./
  • Terran_x
    Offline / Send Message
    Terran_x null
    @Terran_x
    Your portfolio's format makes me annoyed and frustrated trying to look at your work.

You need to drop Wix and get an artstation portfolio or build one just as simple./
    Yeah I agree! I have recently started an artstation profile :] The reason it was on Wix was because we all had to use the site for one of the modules at University.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    I want to hurt your Uni instructors for requiring that.
  • Burpee
    Offline / Send Message
    Burpee polycounter lvl 9
    Terran_x said:
    Yeah I agree! I have recently started an artstation profile :] The reason it was on Wix was because we all had to use the site for one of the modules at University.

• almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Terran_x said:
    @Terran_x

Somewhere out there, @Gav just became inexplicably angry.
  • AGoodFella
    Offline / Send Message
    AGoodFella polycounter lvl 5
    When I was at uni, we had to create a Flickr profile. Yeah....
  • Gav
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    Terran_x said:

This is unfortunately such a trend in schools that can easily be corrected.  It makes me frustrated for people like you because it shows you are clearly being taught a disconnected view on the industry.  Here's a few articles and rants I've written, please read them, and if you are still in school - and have teachers that are willing to listen - I'd be more than happy to talk to them.

What Game Recruiters Really Think of Your Application
    (Don't let the title fool you, I didn't choose it, it's about tailoring your portfolio to be more approachable to a hiring manager/art director)
    https://magazine.artstation.com/2017/07/game-recruiters-application/

Why I Hate Demo Reels
    https://flippednormals.com/blog/hate-demo-reels-gavin-goulden/

8 Tips For Highly Effective Character Artists Lookin To Get A Job
    http://polycount.com/discussion/188730/8-tips-for-highly-effective-character-artists-lookin-to-get-a-job#latest

Not by me, but a member of my team, on staying motivated and the myth behind that:

Motivation is Bull
    http://polycount.com/discussion/175256/motivation-is-bull

And from my long lost brother:

Lacking Motivation? 
    http://hazardousarts.deviantart.com/journal/Lacking-Motivation-I-hope-this-helps-359045816

Also:

Screw Motivation, What You Need is Discipline
    http://www.wisdomination.com/screw-motivation-what-you-need-is-discipline/

• Chidambhar_Swaroop
    Offline / Send Message
    Chidambhar_Swaroop polycounter lvl 2
    We Humans loose motivation really fast. I don't know why, but blame God, lol.

When our parents by a new fancy mobile we will be all excited and want to try out so many things with mobile and our respect to our parents increases double just bcas they got something fancy but after a month we will forget abt it and don't give a shit. Same thing with a car, new desktop, new job, girlfriend/boyfriend etc. That is how we are programmed and there is nothing wrong abt it. We just loose interest after a certain point of time. if we loose interest in our job/3d (Whatever) how will be able to earn money or get that satisfaction of completing a project and showing it our friends... We do not have a choice...

I can give u few suggestions on wht i do...
    1- When I am down, I look at artstation. See all the amazing works and I will think if I get demotivated every day and can't complete the project properly then how the hell I am going to be like them. Then suddenly I get motivated and start working. I understand this point is vague but hey, it works for me, lol ...

2-I suggest you do some physical activities every day. That will help u to be calm the whole day and boost ur focus while studying or working. I don't know any scientific reason but it works for me. I play tennis, lol.

3-Hmmm, Musics....

And sorry for my bad English...
  • Terran_x
    Offline / Send Message
    Terran_x null
    jStins said:
    I suggest you start off by reading this great article by Gavin Goulden. His advice is coming from a character art perspective. I get the impression that's what you want to do based on the content of your portfolio. So read it and take it to heart, even if it means facing the difficult reality that your work isn't there yet.

It will take time and effort for sure. Look at the inspiring work on Polycount and Art Station not as some mythical level of quality you'll never be able to reach, but as the level of quality that you need to / can hit with effort and focused practice. I suggest that you start by keeping scope narrow and emphasize quality and execution. Characters may be the end goal, but perhaps a small prop or weapon would be more achievable right now. Moving through production tasks relatively quickly at a good level of quality will help keep motivation up. But also remember that motivation is bull shit
    Alright, will definitely check the article out! Thanks for the insight!
  • Terran_x
    Offline / Send Message
    Terran_x null
    jStins said:

Alright, will definitely check the article out! Thanks for the insight!
  • Larry
    Offline / Send Message
    Larry interpolator
    Looking at other people's work is the worst thing to do. From the hundreads of projects a person does, they only have one or two good enough to show at a portfolio. That is their best one. Portfolios are like peacocks. They wont show you their numerous failing attempts to create something. Also keep in mind that there will always be much better people than you, and always more experienced. Does that mean that you have to be lucky to get a job? Does that mean that no newbie will ever get a job? There are more things than talent to get you a job, and if you are lacking experience at the moment, you can compensate with other qualities such as humor cooperation flexibility etc.