Home Animation Showcase & Critiques

Spiderman Animation WIP

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
BradleyMAdams polycounter lvl 3
Currently in first pass, still need to adjust alot of it.

I'm using Kiel Figgns upcoming rig. Feedback/critics would be very useful! :D

https://syncsketch.com/playground/e47a3887893c4a79814150f50e68c698#210945

Replies

• AGoodFella
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AGoodFella polycounter lvl 5
    Cool, quite a few spider man stuff going on around these parts.

I think the cam feels quite jerky, takes away a lot of the speed of spiderman.

I think you can push your poses more. Really nail that spiderman pose as he he swings:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=spiderman+swinging&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjHiNm40qbVAhXMZFAKHU1BBqYQsAQIJQ&biw=1513&bih=833

f139 - Maybe let siderman lead the frame more here. So we really feel the thrust.

f282 - roll could be quicker here, right now it feels too slow and lethargic. Maybe you could try to put a few quick full rolls and then land.

Coming together nicely, looking forward to it.
  • Arturow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Arturow polycounter
    Thats so awesome @BradleyMAdams !! How are you going to approach the spiderweb? :O frame by frame 2d?
  • devilcloud
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    devilcloud polycounter lvl 3
    Very awesome staff, I like the frames between 258 to 272, it shows very well on how the power transmits.
    But I notice that he shoot the cobweb use his both hands every time, I think it might be a little repetition, most of the time using one hand might make the body pose more expressive, how do you think?
    Anyway, great job!
  • KielFiggins
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KielFiggins polycounter lvl 7
    Looking good @BradleyMAdams , I agree with @devilcloud about breaking up the poses while shooting web to be single handed or more diverse.  @Arturow when I make the rig public, it will have a webbing solution.  Hopefully out in the next week or so.

• BradleyMAdams
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Arturow said:
    Thats so awesome @BradleyMAdams !! How are you going to approach the spiderweb? :O frame by frame 2d?
    @Arturow
    Thank you! I've been using a nhair dynamic solution to do the spiderweb which is what i did as a test in the one you can see in the video, I did try the grease pencil but found it was problematic with the camera i have, i could try doing it in 2D but I don't have access to flash or know of any other good 2D software :/
    Very awesome staff, I like the frames between 258 to 272, it shows very well on how the power transmits.
    But I notice that he shoot the cobweb use his both hands every time, I think it might be a little repetition, most of the time using one hand might make the body pose more expressive, how do you think?
    Anyway, great job!
    @devilcloud
    Thank you! yeah I agree totally, using one hand etc will break it up and add more flavour into it. Alot of people on thousand hours on facebook also pointed out the need to rework the camera as well as the poses and general adjustments so I'll add that too.
    Looking good @BradleyMAdams , I agree with @devilcloud about breaking up the poses while shooting web to be single handed or more diverse.  @Arturow when I make the rig public, it will have a webbing solution.  Hopefully out in the next week or so.

@KielFiggins
    Thank you! Yeah I agree too and will start to add it all in. By the way here's a spiderman rig I recently found that has its own inbuilt webbing, it might be useful to check it out and see how He did it.

rig download link https://www.dropbox.com/s/mas2w2pnq5tna5t/Spidey.zip?dl=0

• KielFiggins
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea, I saw this earlier.  Looks cool.  Mine's similar but different.  More curve control for arcs, ability to pin it to different parts of the character/world, separate rig so that you can have multiple in a scene, ect.  Probably overkill, but I like to build rigs to fit the animation I have in mind, and that typically requires more sub controls.

Thanks for sharing.
  • BradleyMAdams
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea, I saw this earlier.  Looks cool.  Mine's similar but different.  More curve control for arcs, ability to pin it to different parts of the character/world, separate rig so that you can have multiple in a scene, ect.  Probably overkill, but I like to build rigs to fit the animation I have in mind, and that typically requires more sub controls.

Thanks for sharing.
    That sounds awesome!! yeah I love the sub-controls you add, it just allows for such much more detail and adjustment.
  • Arturow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Arturow polycounter
    Ohhhh that would be awesome !! I haven't seen any webshoot solutions i think :o
  • _adamturnbull
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey man, great first pass! I think the camera is the main problem so far, it feels jerky and just smoothing the motion out would improve the whole shot. Maybe go easier on the motion blur too as it makes some parts quite hard to watch.

Like others have said, varying the poses when he fires this web would definitely help. Have a look at some dynamic poses from the comics and try to incorporate them somehow. One of his most appealing features are his crazy dynamic poses so nailing these should be a priority

Will make more detailed notes on syncsketch when I get more time :)

P.S: I've been looking for a good spidey rig recently to play with so looking forward to this! @KielFiggins
  • KielFiggins
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just an FYI guys ( @Arturow @_adamturnbull , and anyone else who's interested ), if you sign up for the Mailing list off my Store page ( http://www.3dfiggins.com/Store/#FreeStuff ) you can snag the Spiderman now before it goes public.  Plus you can get updates and such on the web solution as well.

• Arturow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Arturow polycounter
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand I'm in, also I have a question for one of your rigs , going to ask you in the sign up mail :)
  • BradleyMAdams
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've done a bit more to this scene following on from the feedback, C&C is most welcome! Many thanks,

I'm struggling on trying to improve it all, I know I have hand positions, webbing and fingers etc to do, but I mean in the general aspects, would changing the camera improve it??

https://syncsketch.com/sketch/173901#217376

• WeatherMan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WeatherMan polycounter lvl 6
    My biggest issue with it so far is that your momentum seems to shift too suddenly. Spider-Man's gonna keep moving in whatever direction he's going - regardless of taking gravity into account which is obviously important - until his web can attach to whichever building and continue him swinging. There needs to be a delay in his change of direction even after the web attaches and goes taut. Think of Spider Man as a pendulum and take into account each relative body part as a separate part of the pendulum and how that affects his change in momentum/direction, which is ultimately attached to the web.
  • tholmes3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tholmes3d polycounter lvl 11
    @BrandlyMAdams, this is a cool scene, I'm looking forward to seeing it progress. At any point in this video we should be able to stop and have it look like the cover of a comic. Others have said it before, but posing posing posing posing. The 2 big killers for me are that I can see you're not using the clavicle controller, and the torso often looks broken (ex F166) which hurts the flow. Simply doing a clavicle pass will help a lot. Below are some more targeted notes.
    • Personally I don't think Spiderman would do the extra loop at the beginning. It doesn't serve any purpose and considering you don't have any major pose changes between F51 and F121, I'd consider just cutting that out. it doesn't add anything we haven't or won't see elsewhere in the piece, so it's just making extra work for yourself. 
    • I love the directional pull of the momentum around F154, but as he raises towards the apex of his arc, he looses that sideways momentum and ends by swinging straight up. Then again from F228-F241 he changes momentum while in the middle of a swing.
    • Between F243 and F255 he is swinging backwards, then forwards, then backwards. Make sure the spinning momentum is consistent. 
    • The web shot around F261 is too subtle. I missed it the first few times and wondered why his direction changed so drastically. I'd give a solid pose and hold it so we can see what's happening.
    • The front flip at the end never actually enters a full tuck pose. Checked out videos of people diving off rope swings to see good flips. There is a very specific order to which body parts open and close throughout the flip. It will be great to get him into a tight ball while he's flipping, then open up to land, then crunch back into a ball. Those big pose changes are what will make it interesting.
    • F294 should have a stretched out landing pose that he can then squash into for the final crouched pose. Currently he floats down into his final pose.
    Keep it up!