Home Technical Talk

Mesh Insert (3dsmax plugin inspired from Polystein for Modo)

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
CompanionCube polycounter lvl 12
(not mine, came across this and thought i'd share)
http://hocuspocus-studio.fr/tools/product/meshinsert/

Features :

• Main Path and quick subfolders access.
  • Create & share your own Assets library.
  • Quick asset export.
  • Visual library.
  • Resizable window and icons.
  • Automatic Filtering depending on your face selection.
  • Curvature deform (deform your asset on the surface of the mesh).
  • Height adaptation.
  • Perfect mesh weld and blend, to keep a perfect edge flow.
  • Great for hard mesh and organic modeling too !

Version 1.01 update :

• UI Changes.
  • Full Help file.
  • Refresh button on the Folders list.
  • Better orientation on any selected faces, and more bug fixes.
  • Selected Faces statistics.
  • You can now rotate, mirror and scale the assets after they are inserted.

2 different blending modes :

• the “Same Borders” which needs assets with the same borders topology as your face selection,
  • and the “Free Borders” to replace any selected faces per any asset with no topology restriction.
  • Insert per Face option (insert the asset on each selected face).
  • Multiple face Clusters replacement. (insert the asset on each face cluster whether they are different or not).

Use the Curvature options and the per face asset option.

How to insert, rotate, mirror and scale the assets, on multiple clusters and using the Same Borders and the Free Borders mode.

How to create and save your assets in the library.

How to filter the Library based on your face selection.

Replies

• musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    Great to see this ported to Max. It's been a bit depressing seeing all the modeling toolkits for Maya/Blender/Modo in recent months. Even though Most of the features of all these kits can be replicated in Max it's still nice to see a dedicated tool for a specific job. 

Frankly I'm surprised no one has released something like Blender Hardops/decal machine or any of the other multitude of boolean toolkits that are trending, for Max.

New(old) boolean updates in Max are disappointing and it would have been a perfect opportunity for such a toolkit.
  • Kinematiclab
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kinematiclab triangle
    hey Guys, I just released a new update : 
    more details here : http://hocuspocus-studio.fr/tools/product/meshinsert/
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    Great stuff, Clovis. Now you can start work on that Blender HardOps-like tool for Max...... :)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_qGwtBNqw4

• CompanionCube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

New in 1.04 :

• New Panel Lines Tool.
    • Batch Assets export.
    • Right clic on each folder to open an explorer and browse your library.
    • Smoothing groups Blend.
    • Relax button to relax the selected faces (usefull after inserting an asset in “Free border” mode).
    • Modifiers on top allowed (like quad chamfer or turbosmooth).
    • A few bug fixes and user experience improvements.
  • CompanionCube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

New update on Mesh Insert : now V 1.08
    http://hocuspocus-studio.fr/tools/product/meshinsert/

What's new : 
    - Unlimited asset transform adjustment after insert, pos/rotate/scale, mirror, rotate increment…etc
    - 3 library filtering rules, filter by name, face selection(real-time) and folder.
    - UI Changes and Help file update.
    - More bug fixes.

With also 6 new video tutorials : 

• Justo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justo polycounter
    Can anyone confirm if you can bring your kitbash brushes into the scene without welding them on stuff?

Thinking of buying this or Kitbash Blender, but frankly this looks way, way more appealing, if not only for the informative videos and home page they've made detailing everything. 
  • Justo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justo polycounter
    Just got a reply from Clovis Gay from KL on the matter; he confirmed adding assets without welding them is possible.
  • Gazu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 11
    Can you show some detail pictures with a specy and glossy material inserting meshes on corners and curved geometrie?

In the video it looks like the bolt which was added to the corner of the box, destroys a bit the shading of the mesh. But maybe its just because the Sub-D Level was to low?

Thank you!
  • Justo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justo polycounter
    @Gazu Mesh Insert will just replace faces with the kitbash piece; it's not an automatic sub-D maker. You still will have to make supporting loops where you need them.

When the shape tries to go across two axis (right cube), circular patterns will deform more, but that is natural since such shapes won't hold up when they're blending like that:

• Gazu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 11
    Okay?
    In the video it looks like he is using a model which was subdivided and then he adds the Bolt on the corner, and then the smoothing gets a little bit dirty. Thats why i asked that its maybe because of a low sub-d level?

Thank you :)
  • Justo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justo polycounter
    @Gazu Could you share which video and timestamp you're referring to?
  • Gazu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 11
    Sure!
    This one:

@00:37 min.

Look at the Shading after he insertes the Mesh at the corner.
    My question is, if a higher sub-d level would correct this?

• Justo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justo polycounter
    Sorry for the late reply, but Vimeo videos are blocked in the office so I couldn't see anything 1:(

You are indeed right in that the shading changes when the bolt was placed. Still, isn't the change almost impercetible? I think that'd subdivide and look just fine...

If you're going to present that area in super glossy plain fashion then yeah, probably (I don't believe so), but once you apply textures on it usually that type of stuff is rarely noted, I think. 
  • Gazu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 11
    Yeah you´re right, im just perfectionist when it comes to the shading of the surface. Maybe i exaggerate it :)
    Thank you anyway :smile:
  • duke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    duke polycounter lvl 13
    Great to see this ported to Max. It's been a bit depressing seeing all the modeling toolkits for Maya/Blender/Modo in recent months. Even though Most of the features of all these kits can be replicated in Max it's still nice to see a dedicated tool for a specific job. 

Frankly I'm surprised no one has released something like Blender Hardops/decal machine or any of the other multitude of boolean toolkits that are trending, for Max.

New(old) boolean updates in Max are disappointing and it would have been a perfect opportunity for such a toolkit.
    Excuse my ignorance, but what does Hardops actually do? All I see are boolean operations and edge chamfers, both of which can be done in 3dsmax quite easily.