Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Maximus Decimus - Gladiator

ArtistArtorias
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
ArtistArtorias polycounter lvl 4
Hey guys, longtime lurker on Polycount. A little nervous to post - so many super skilled people on here.

Thought I'd share my progress so far on a portfolio piece I've been working on. Heading into the final stages of the highpoly I think. Just sculpting the cloth now. Need to practice my cloth sculpting bad!

Really need some critiques - haven't really shown this to many people and need the criticism.

Replies

• Joshua Godwin
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Godwin polycounter lvl 4
    It would be nice to the face without the untextured hair cards getting in the way. Don't know if I have any critiques at the moment as the hair cards are too distracting.

Is this based on a concept?
  • ArtistArtorias
    Offline / Send Message
    It would be nice to the face without the untextured hair cards getting in the way. Don't know if I have any critiques at the moment as the hair cards are too distracting.

Is this based on a concept?
    Okay no worries, I'll post it without the cards. 

and yeah it's based of Maximus Decimus from Gladiator. Me having to answer that means I'm far off.

• Joshua Godwin
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Godwin polycounter lvl 4
    No worries, I haven't watched gladiator so I wouldn't have known.

It actually looks a lot like him on the face in many respects, I just couldn't tell with the hair. I might not be the best person cause I still can't get likenesses to look right myself but I would say the main thing off is the tip of the nose (maybe a bit too blocky). The expression on the brow ridge is a little different than the reference but looks fine otherwise (just depends on what expression you want him to have I guess).

All in all it looks pretty good, definitely better than I've done so take my words with a grain of salt.
  • ArtistArtorias
    Offline / Send Message
    No worries, I haven't watched gladiator so I wouldn't have known.

It actually looks a lot like him on the face in many respects, I just couldn't tell with the hair. I might not be the best person cause I still can't get likenesses to look right myself but I would say the main thing off is the tip of the nose (maybe a bit too blocky). The expression on the brow ridge is a little different than the reference but looks fine otherwise (just depends on what expression you want him to have I guess).

All in all it looks pretty good, definitely better than I've done so take my words with a grain of salt.
    Yeah well I've had mixed feedback so far. Some guy working on renovations at my house spotted it straight away. But yes I think you got a point about the blocky nose! I'll write it down and address it later on, still working on the cloth at the moment. Regarding the expression, it's based of another photo where he is doing a bit  of AU4. I probably should have share that photo instead.

Thank you! your work looks great btw man!
  • ArtistArtorias
    Offline / Send Message
    Did a bit more work on the boots and straps. Hoping to get the highpoly done today. Unless some more feedback comes in that I should address. Been staring at this for ages, could have easily missed some major flaws