Home Animation Showcase & Critiques

Spider-Man 3 Combo Attack WIP

triangle
Offline / Send Message
edlucas3rd triangle
What's up guys, working on another attack combo games reel. This is 2nd pass with most in-betweens added.  Let me know if you see anything wonky or off.

https://www.syncsketch.com/sketch/152168#209768

Replies

• Archanex
    Offline / Send Message
    Archanex polycounter lvl 18
    it's looking pretty good dude! I'm wondering if you could maybe hold a little more after each hit to make it a little more readable instead of going to the next attack in the combo so quickly. Do you have any other views of this?
  • edlucas3rd
    Offline / Send Message
    edlucas3rd triangle
    Archanex said:
    it's looking pretty good dude! I'm wondering if you could maybe hold a little more after each hit to make it a little more readable instead of going to the next attack in the combo so quickly. Do you have any other views of this?
    Yeah, here's an updated view:  https://www.syncsketch.com/sketch/152168#209802
  • Einar
    Offline / Send Message
    Einar polycounter lvl 5
    Hey man, added some notes. In general the two first hits are very cool, the third one doesnt' read well, so i think you should find a better third attack pose or find a way to make the silhouette much clearer. 
  • KielFiggins
    Offline / Send Message
    KielFiggins polycounter lvl 7
    Added my 2 cents.  Mainly making the kick more of a vertical attack (think Guile Sonic Kick) that would knock the opponent up and raise SM up.  This way the punch down could be more impactful.  Also, I'd set a cube in there as an opponent to keep the spatial relationship accurate.
  • edlucas3rd
    Offline / Send Message
    edlucas3rd triangle
    Thanks everyone for the feedback, will be updating soon!
  • edlucas3rd
    Offline / Send Message
    edlucas3rd triangle
    So I've updated the animation with the much-appreciated feedback from everyone. 
    1.Added enemy cube
    2. Made kick go vertical 
    3. Straightened the arm during punch impact
    4. Added additional frames for 3rd punch to make it more readable 

https://www.syncsketch.com/sketch/152168#210428
  • KielFiggins
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking fun man, through, hopefully you're planning out smoothing out some of the snap.  If everything is a static snap pose, it looks choppy.  

Looking forward to seeing this wrap up, if you're keen, I'd like to use it in the rig demo video when I make the rig public.
  • edlucas3rd
    Offline / Send Message
    edlucas3rd triangle
    Looking fun man, through, hopefully you're planning out smoothing out some of the snap.  If everything is a static snap pose, it looks choppy.  

Looking forward to seeing this wrap up, if you're keen, I'd like to use it in the rig demo video when I make the rig public.
    No definitely, wanted to get a base before I go into polish in the spaghetti box. Totally keen, that would be awesome.
  • edlucas3rd
    Offline / Send Message
    edlucas3rd triangle
    Finally got some time to smooth it out and get a polish pass on it. Fresh eyes would be nice.

https://www.syncsketch.com/sketch/152168#212258
  • KielFiggins
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking good man, really coming together.  I posted up some notes if you're interested.

Also, I'm looking to build the Rig movie on sunday, if you could send me two movies of your animation, that'd be great.  960x540, one texture with just a maya grey background, the other is no textures just grey with rig curves showing.  Just so it fits the format of the Deadpool demo.
    Thanks man, good luck!
  • edlucas3rd
    Offline / Send Message
    edlucas3rd triangle
    So here's the update with the suggestions implemented. @KielFiggins I can shoot you over the video with the above format to your email once you check it out. Cheers!

https://www.syncsketch.com/sketch/152168#212677
  • KielFiggins
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks fun to me man!  For the vids, if you can frame the character up a bit closer, that'd be great.  Thanks again.
  • HeXiFy
    Offline / Send Message
    HeXiFy polycounter lvl 5
    It would look way better up close as Kiel said.... It's WAY too far. Also, at the end of it when he lands, his feet are not planted on the ground.
  • _adamturnbull
    Looking good man, the poses are nice but his movement in the air seems unnatural. He picks up velocity at random times and doesn't seem to follow any kind of flow (frames 19 to 24). For example, just before his 3rd strike his body gains velocity and moves up above the enemy after the kick has already happened, I'd have him get that velocity from the kick he does so there is more of a flow between attacks.

It doesn't have to be super realistic but should adhere to some kind of rules that people can relate too in terms of physics.
  • AGoodFella
    Offline / Send Message
    AGoodFella polycounter lvl 5
    Looking good man, the poses are nice but his movement in the air seems unnatural. He picks up velocity at random times and doesn't seem to follow any kind of flow (frames 19 to 24). For example, just before his 3rd strike his body gains velocity and moves up above the enemy after the kick has already happened, I'd have him get that velocity from the kick he does so there is more of a flow between attacks.

It doesn't have to be super realistic but should adhere to some kind of rules that people can relate too in terms of physics.
    Great point. One thing I'm curious about is if this was going into an engine or this is how it will play out in-game, would the random velocity gains be more acceptable? 

Because the player is deciding which moves to execute and when and the game can't obviously predict which move is going to happen next.

• tholmes3d
    Offline / Send Message
    tholmes3d polycounter lvl 11
    @AGoodGella If this were in game then before the first attack is when we would sync the characters so that's where there would be the most variation in velocity/distance. This animation would work well because his dash move is good for handling that variation (No feet on the ground to show sliding).
    It would also be interesting to see this from the players perspective  (even knowing that EdLucas3rd probably didn't animate it from that angle), just to see how well the knockback distances read.

As for being able to predict the moves... the system should only be as free as what the animations support. So if your animation doesn't branch well, then maybe this is just an X X X combo, and there's no option to turn it into an X X Y combo. If you did want to support branching then maybe that last in air pose is the branching point and you have a light, heavy, and super attack that all start from that pose.