Home Career & Education

Not Going To School-Judgement

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
splicer polycounter lvl 7
Something I've noticed in learning various skillsets in creating 3D assets and using different types of software on my own, without going to school. We all know here how long it takes to learn, the amount of time and energy, mental strain and frustration. Ok, that's fine. But trying to explain that to your family and friends? I always get the vibe from people, that they think I'm not doing anything. Like since I'm not going to 'school' I'm not really learning, or not taking it seriously. It's a cultural stigma really, something programmed into our minds from early youth.

'To achieve success and enter into a career, one must go to school and acquire a degree.' That's the programmed mentality, deep rooted.

No matter how many times I try to explain to people close to me, family, or certain friends, I don't think it reaches them.

I don't think results matter either, quality of your work, or ability to get a job. Not having a degree to some people, won't ever take you seriously.

Ultimately, I don't give a crap, and they can think what they want. I know what I'm doing and I'll keep doing it. Doesn't mean it's not frustrating.

Replies

• Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jonas Ronnegard polycount sponsor
    Yeah it's true that can be a bit of a hurdle, you just have to keep pushing and once you get a job they will know you were not just sitting around.

Sadly it also has a lot to do with sitting at your computer making art stuff is sometimes not seen as work for many, if you are not physically doing something it's hard for many to see it as work. My wife seems to think I'm just sitting around doing nothing while money is getting thrown at us.
  • NikhilR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NikhilR polycounter
      I think it also depends on where you're from. I'm from Toronto, Canada and there are many schools here for game art/programming.
      Many of these schools do have influence on the studios that hire their graduates. All in all this leads to a very large surplus of artists, some of whom may get a job because of that influence.
      Of course this is a unique case.
      Also you need a degree for visa/immigration purposes.
      Portfolio matters but it might not get you the job you want.
      Best thing about schooling was the opportunity to meet like minded people, as well as more local entrepreneurial opportunities.

• YF_Sticks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    YF_Sticks polycounter lvl 5
    If you have friends that drag you down and trying to keep you down, get new friends. Surround yourself with people that wanna achieve something similar and thrive together. This will keep motivating you and stop the negativity.
  • Bedrock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bedrock polycounter lvl 10
    Not going to uni is fine but try to get some kind of evidence that you have worked in a team before, even if it's just with friends. Could join a modding group or make a scene as a small team. Don't neglect social/teamwork skills.
  • garcellano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garcellano greentooth
    Yeah, I feel like, to some, they won't understand until you start earning $$$ from it. 
  • splicer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    splicer polycounter lvl 7
    @Jonas Ronnegard That's a good one, sitting around and getting paid for it! Love it. The magic computer and chair.

@NikhilR That's very interesting to hear about Toronto. I think the region where you go to school is huge, going to school in the hubs of where the most and best studios are, Los Angeles, Seattle, Austin, seems like impacts the quality of the school and getting work.

@YF_Sticks This is a very good point, I've done it before. I think it's important. Friends who are always going out to party, or are only sitting around playing video games will keep you down, without trying to. It's like a contact effect. Where as friends who are doing what you're doing will motivate you to work hard as a contact effect. I've experienced both examples in the past.

@Bedrock You make a very good point here. I'm actually trying to join a team like that now. Currently finishing my art test for it now.

@garcellano Exactly, best way to legitimize and justify all the time we spend 'sitting around'.

I certainly see value in going to a school, having people around you doing the same thing, having deadlines for assignments to push you to get things finished. But it's not possible for some. I almost went back to school at the beginning of this year, but in my region where I live, Phoenix Arizona the only school here is AI and it doesn't appear to be a good one. I couldn't justify the debt I would incur from going. Considering I learned the basics using a Lynda sub and various YT tutorials. I try to enter many online art challenges to motivate me.

I'm at the point now where I need to add more portfolio pieces. Had I gone to school, I feel I'd be wasting my time and money.