Home Technical Talk

[MAYA] Longboat Hull Modelling Blend or Wrap?

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Mirge polycounter lvl 7
I'm planning to model a longboat from the viking era (drakkar to be precise B) , reference at the bottom) but encounted a problem making the hull of the boat and came across this tutorial, 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Li7Fpg-CCo4

Looked through how he does the attributes on how the mesh was deformed but I'm still clueless on what method he used for this, AFAIK it's something to do with loft and bend.

any preferable tutorials would be greatly appreciated, cheers!

Replies

• throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Look into the docs for Surfaces>Loft for the curves to surface part, pretty standard stuff there.

For putting the planks into place, it's a two-parter.

The copy of the hull around 4:30 that he's pushing into a flat shape gets set up as a blendshape, it's important to translate the vertices and not the object itself for this to work.

Then this flattened hull is then set as a wrap deformer for the planks. This is a bit like a lattice, but mesh-shaped so they come along when the blendshape is slid up, putting the flattened hull back on top of the original. Neat, eh?
  • Mirge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mirge polycounter lvl 7
    ah cheers for the reply throttlekitty, still a problem though.
    Did all the method used here but the flattened poly doesnt seem to attach to form the hull instead it stays in it's position, what seems to be the issue here? hm.

EDIT: ah fixed it thanks, just had to do a quick delete all history and it's all brill, thanks! but would still love to find out the issue here though other than the delete history fix.  B)
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My guess is that you translated the flattened hull at object level instead of translating at component level. In a blendshape (morph), the vertices need to move somewhere for the magic to happen.
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    You could just select those loop of faces separately and extrude out once, and in once. then weld the top outer ones inwards and the bottom inner ones outwards. So you get the slanted planks.