Home Technical Talk

Unfold 3D .obj export mesh problem

null
Hey! :blush:

When i export my mesh from Unfold 3D, some parts of my mesh gets f*cked up.

This is the original exported mesh from MODO:

Everything is looking fantastic, or at least the smoothing is okay. :D

And this is how the mesh looks like after exporting from Unfold 3D:

Any solution for this?

Replies

• Axi5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Axi5 interpolator
    Just guessing, since I haven't used Unfold3D outside of Maya. Did you export the geometry from Modo with the vertex normal map applied? This looks like a shading issue whereby all the vertices are told to point in the same direction. Try applying one of the actions from the vertex normal kit/game tools in Modo, hopefully should spring back to life.
  • Pixfloage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pixfloage null
    Axi5 said:
    Just guessing, since I haven't used Unfold3D outside of Maya. Did you export the geometry from Modo with the vertex normal map applied? This looks like a shading issue whereby all the vertices are told to point in the same direction. Try applying one of the actions from the vertex normal kit/game tools in Modo, hopefully should spring back to life.
    Wow, nice guess, it worked!

Jut a simple automatic recalculation in MODO's GameTools:

I hope this was only a one-time issue.. i don't want to reimport - fix - reexport all of my models.

Thank you! 
  • Axi5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Axi5 interpolator
    Thanks, you're welcome :)

You might have just missed applying this object a vertex normal map. Modo generates normals in the viewport on the fly until you specifically bake the vertex normal map into the model. You can check if one exists in the Lists panel in the bottom right. That'll ensure the normals are on the model.