Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

( UR4 Environment ) Final Project for school Please critique

Moonday41
null

This is my work in progress for my final class at my school. I would really like some feed back on what I can do to improve and or enhance my final project. Please give me feed back on the project and what you think.

Replies

• Moonday41
    Latest Update:
    Let me know what you think

This is my References

• FreneticPonies
    Offline / Send Message
    FreneticPonies polycounter lvl 3
    Feels very dark, I assume there's a proper sun up above the grating. If so turn the lightbounces up to like 100, you need a lot more light. Also ditch the faked godrays using translucency, there's a much better version called Volumetric Fog you can switch on.

In the concept there's also a lot of indirect light coming in through the window like things on the walls. Right now you have a hacked up direct lighting setup which is never going to look right. Ideally you'd just set a skylight outside and make both actual windows, then let lightbaking do its job. Unfortunately UE4 is terrible at this as skylight doesn't get more than 1 bounce. Fortunately someone modified the lightmass baker to be not terrible at this, grab it here: https://forums.unrealengine.com/showthread.php?140006-Lightmass-multi-bounced-sky-lighting
  • Moonday41
    Thanks you very much for the feed back. I'm not that good at lighting in UR4, looked up some videos on youtube and some help on the Unreal website but couldn't really find much that went into just lighting a scene.
    Im going to try somethings that you have mention and repost what I have to see if its any better.
  • Tetranome
    Offline / Send Message
    Tetranome polycounter lvl 6
    This tutorial series has a very similar setup. I think you will find it useful!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0a6OW159Gyc
  • rexo12
    Offline / Send Message
    rexo12 interpolator
    Your bed looks...  wrong, like melting wax instead of proper sheets. I'd make it thinner, and add some artificial height to it (collision or manual adjustment) to simulate layers. I assume it's a cloth sim that you've sculpted over, in which case the intensity of the sculpt should be a lot lower, as the sculpts purpose should really be to make small adjustments and add fine details.

The sheets are too flat at the top, which isn't consistent with the unkept look of the bed, and the general disorder of the scene. Around the camera-facing corner it gives off that melting wax look, like it's too thick and it's not an object lying on top of a shape but something dripping off that shape.

It looks pretty good in this picture though.

I can't really say much for the rest of the image, it looks pretty good. I'd say change the material on the maintenance cover(?) to something that reflects it's purpose - this can be as simple as some indented normals and screws.

like this.

Apart from that, maybe lower the chromatic aberration and bloom a little. Your concept has a lot more clutter in it, but I assume you're still working on that.

Best of luck!
  • LVG
    Offline / Send Message
    LVG polycounter lvl 12
    You look like you've captured the scale of the scene pretty well, I agree about removing the fake rays here's quick ref for just using the new built in volumetric fog https://80.lv/articles/a-cheat-sheet-on-volumetric-fog-in-ue4/

Also agree about the bed looking like melted wax, really think that needs to look thinner

and for your materials , the floor and table look a bit flat  and lack the roughness variation the ref has, I think working on your roughness will make your textures go a lot further and really pop, keep at it though looking good

p.s I've never seen anyone call it UR4 that's a first  :)
  • BossKing101
    I may not be one to speak, but I get a feeling your shadows are being forced and heavy. Might want to soften the edging on them compared to the picture. Another lead off from that, the floor seems to be shadow suggesting the sun is setting or below the window abit, that could help you with the floor it feels.
  • Moonday41
    Here is an updated image of my scene I redid my lighting. Took out the god rays and made new ones, I also added a few more props, scaled my floor up to mach the RF better .Want to know if it looks ok or should I still change it ? 

Thanks for the feed back guys 
    @rexo12
    @Tetranome
    @LVG 
    @BossKing101