Home Technical Talk

(Solved) [Maya + Substance Painter] Some UV shells are not meant to be straighten?

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
bitinn polycounter lvl 6
So I am doing hard-surface modelling and I am not quite sure why I am running into this problem:

- To avoid ugly seam I start to straighten UV shells (using the Straighten UV tool).

- But after straightening the texture appear to be skewed when applied on the model (this is the confusing part).

I am not sure if this is caused by the straightening itself, or I need to cut my shells into smaller pieces, or maybe harden an edge might also fix my problem?

Just not sure which route to take. Any suggestion appreciated!

Replies

• musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range

I have no idea what's happening in your screenshots. What are we looking at?

Anyway, straightening shells too far beyond their natural shape will, of course, lead to uv distortion. This is a trade-off you have to decide on and make. Amount of seams vs distortion(vs straight uv islands)

• bitinn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bitinn polycounter lvl 6

I have no idea what's happening in your screenshots. What are we looking at?

Anyway, straightening shells too far beyond their natural shape will, of course, lead to uv distortion. This is a trade-off you have to decide on and make. Amount of seams vs distortion(vs straight uv islands)

Sorry about that, basically the texture is distorted when closer to a corner. But I did cut the UV shell at the corner. So I am not quite sure why it would still cause such distortion.

I think the Straighten UV tool in Maya is going too far, but it doesn't offer any options to tune its behaviour, what other option do I have?

For comparison, UV unfold result and Straighten UV result:

Straightening cause this issue:

• bitinn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bitinn polycounter lvl 6
    Turns out I really need a combination of Unfold + Straighten UV + Straighten UV Border to get an optimal result:

Though I am not able to make that one last shell straight without causing some texture problems. I guess this is the compromise you mentioned, @musashidan

Scrape that, solved as well!