Home Unreal Engine

VRAY to UE4 Workflow.

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Bletzkarn polycounter lvl 6
I'm creating some models in 3DSMAX vray that I want to be able to transfer to UE4 at a later time. However I understand the requirement for vray and UE4 are different.

UE4 needs a lightmap UV, which I assume means I need to be correctly assigning UV's as I'm modelling? I also assume I will need a high poly / low poly workflow.

Replies

• Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    You don't necessarily need hp to lp workflow, that always depends on the requirements and target audience. But yes, you need a secondary uv channel for lightmapping, and if you would want to get good lighting bakes, they need to be decent.
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    Vray uses a different GGX shading model to UE4. If you mean getting your Vray scene into UE4 and have it 1:1. If you're just talking about bringing a scene set up for offline rendering into a real-time environment like UE4 then it completely depends on what you're doing.

This image is very exciting though. Maybe quite a while away but great potential. Chaosgroup don't f##k about and there's no dev I'd rather see developing future GI render tech for UE4 than Vlado.

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Unreal's Datasmith beta was just announced at SIGGRAPH. Looks like this will be your best bet, once it comes out of beta.
    https://www.unrealengine.com/en-US/beta

• NoRank
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NoRank polycounter lvl 3
    Unreal's Datasmith beta was just announced at SIGGRAPH. Looks like this will be your best bet, once it comes out of beta.
    https://www.unrealengine.com/en-US/beta

Wow this is totally good news, hope their auto generate lightmaps does a good job. By god how I hate to get those High or mid poly models made by people who couldn't care less about clean topology on their assets.
  • Bletzkarn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bletzkarn polycounter lvl 6
    Wow, very exciting stuff. I would like to one day have Unreal as my complete visualisation package however I understand VRAY is not going anywhere soon. I suppose the main challenges of the workflow at the moment are ensuring models are currently made and UV'd and transferring VRAY materials into Unreal materials.