Home Unreal Engine

Looking for UE4 guides/tutorials; Real Time VFX.

null
Howdy, my names Devin Spencer. I'm a Full Sail University student that currently focuses on modeling of props and environment, but I've wanted to get into real time visual effects as of recent (We dont really have any classes that go over VFX anymore). I've been struggling to find reliable sources of information and tutorials for Unreal Engine 4 that give a good start-off point to go off of. Theres plenty that go over VFX, but none that I can find thats a decent tutorial. I was hoping that I could gather some resources here from anyone that may have a reliable source of information I could use, be it a youtube channel or some forum thread, anything really. Thank you for taking the time to read this and I hope to hear from some people soon!

Replies

• thinkinmonkey
    Offline / Send Message
    thinkinmonkey polycounter lvl 15
    Hello Devin.
    I'm not sure what kind of not decent tutorial you found, but maybe I've been more lucky.
    Just go to youtube and do a search and there are a ton of tutorials, well, some are good and some are less, but never found something worst.

Anyway, first, just read the unreal manual, because you have to understand clearly how shaders and particles works: there are some useful examples there.
    You could also use the basic/standard content package in an empty project: there are some fx you could open and try to replicate.

Other than that, this is my favourite rfx (we could use that for Reatime Special Effect? :D) artist: https://www.youtube.com/user/imbuefx
    He just shared all his tutorials online: even if there are some for unreal engine 3, I applied the same for ue4 with no problem.
    Of course, before getting into them, I just read ue4 manual.

And last but not least, please, read the wiki of this forum, it's an important and vital recap of what people say in this forum or what people reccomend to read. You can find the link on top of this page or here: http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/Special_Effects
    You will have access to useful tutorials and (again) documentation.

Cheers,
    Michele

P.S. Did I suggest you to read the manual? No? Please, read the manual, there are a lot of cool pictures there ;):D
  • LilShocky
    Hello Devin.
    I'm not sure what kind of not decent tutorial you found, but maybe I've been more lucky.
    Just go to youtube and do a search and there are a ton of tutorials, well, some are good and some are less, but never found something worst.

Anyway, first, just read the unreal manual, because you have to understand clearly how shaders and particles works: there are some useful examples there.
    You could also use the basic/standard content package in an empty project: there are some fx you could open and try to replicate.

Other than that, this is my favourite rfx (we could use that for Reatime Special Effect? :D) artist: https://www.youtube.com/user/imbuefx
    He just shared all his tutorials online: even if there are some for unreal engine 3, I applied the same for ue4 with no problem.
    Of course, before getting into them, I just read ue4 manual.

And last but not least, please, read the wiki of this forum, it's an important and vital recap of what people say in this forum or what people reccomend to read. You can find the link on top of this page or here: http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/Special_Effects
    You will have access to useful tutorials and (again) documentation.

Cheers,
    Michele

P.S. Did I suggest you to read the manual? No? Please, read the manual, there are a lot of cool pictures there ;):D
    Thanks a ton for the information. I didnt know of this ImbueFX youtube till now, so I'll definitley look into it. There are many resources for VFX, but not many I could find that gave a good start off area was all. I'll try to read through the manual again to comprehend it more, really hoping I can get into this sort of field. FX are what really bring a game to life after all. Thank you for your help.