Home Career & Education

A good place to start?

vertex
So...bear with me, I tend to get a little unfocused as my brain tends to wander and rant so...I hope I make this as clear as I can.

I've been aspiring to squeeze into video games and/or comics since I was a teenager. I was always sort of proud of my ability to come up with concepts and stories at the snap of a finger and, after i got out of the military, I began to really focus on bringing my art up to snuff so i can create my own works or, at least, have it good enough to wiggle into a company that's looking for concepts. (To be fair to myself, I've been drawing and writing since I was a kid but I didn't really, REALLY start to focus on it until just over ten years ago)

I guess my question is, where COULD I potentially get my start if my art isn't professional enough yet. I'm getting super anxious about being 33 years old and have yet to really land in a place that'll give me a chance while I work to improve. Now, before you ask, YES, I do my own work on the net to the best of my abilities. I have...problems... (let's just put it that way) but I'm still passionate about this. I still want this and I've had a taste of the inside already. (I used to work as a GM for Gravity Interactive and Broccoli International) So I really want to get back in there but...you know, where? Or what could I do?  

God I hope that wasn't vague.

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Short list. Can explain later or if asked:

Game Dev programs across the world would like game art for their student game projects. Quality will vary. Good example (full disclosure: I art directed on it): The Maestros at USC Games. We had ~25 volunteer artists at any one time 

Indie games on places like TIGsourxe or r/gamesevclassifieds. 

Make your own game. Unity and Unreal are free, and there's plenty of free game examples and projects. Don't even have to make a left game, stupid small is fine. 
  • Stuart Campbell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stuart Campbell polycounter lvl 13
    Its a wide field. What is it you want to do? Do you want to be an artist? If so, which discipline?
  • Kevin Albers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Albers polycounter lvl 18
    Indie and/or mobile projects. Some of those types of games need concept art, but it can be somewhat simple at times, if the final art style is fairly simple. If you do a few projects like that, while practicing and upping your skills, then maybe you can get a gig doing AAA game concepts.