Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Low poly] Would you please evaluate my work?

alex_kim
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
alex_kim polycounter lvl 2
Hello, people.

I am looking for a junior 3d modeling artist (low-poly) position in the Canada.

Do you think my work is fine enough?

It is fine to criticize; but would you please tell me with details such as legs are not long enough...

I actually know that this is NOT good enough.. However, I just want to know why my character is not sexy. And, how can I improve it.

The poly count is around 2,430 (only body+eyes+hair). I used maya 2015 and Photoshop cs 6

Thanks.

P.S- Would you please introduce other peoples' works that is fine enough to apply junior low-poly artist job? Thanks!

Replies

• Youshi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Youshi polycounter lvl 3
    Your techniques are outdated and your fundamental art skills seem to be lacking, you need a to study more, also bring yourself upto speed.

- Highpoly sculpt
    - Retop
    - UV
    - Bake
    - Texture
    (Add any extra steps between that you so wish, I sometimes like to save some sculpting for after UV'ing due to certain methods that can utilize good UV's at the sculpting stage)

The advantage of what is essentially working backwards allows you to keep optimal edge flow while retaining the form of your character at the lowest possible density.
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    Before I clicked the images, I was put off by the huge file sizes. 

Even though we're past 1999 internet speeds, you could definitely shrink those images down without any loss in quality. Especially since you have photoshop, you could save images using jpegs at hi quality.
  • alex_kim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alex_kim polycounter lvl 2
    To JordanN

I am sorry. I did not mean to.

Let me upload new images that is 50% size of original.

Thanks.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Youshi's assertion is right.  There's a lot of fundamental you're lacking, and a lot of opportunity to catch up and get better.

Your Major Kusanagi just doesn't look like it fit into any commercial game that I could think of.

What would you do better if you had the time to go back, @alex_kim ?  
  • Shyralon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shyralon polycounter lvl 11
    I think the main thing you have to do is catch up on current gen workflows.
    Even as for "lowpoly" art, today there are a lot of new techniques to make stuff look more appealing.
    I would say since polycount became much less important, low poly art is often a stylistic choice while your art looks like it is going for some kind of realism but under technical limitations which do not apply anymore today.

I would recommend to at least read up on PBR texturing and Highpoly Sculpting/Baking.
    For PBR I would recommend these articles as a starting point:
    https://www.marmoset.co/posts/physically-based-rendering-and-you-can-too/
    And for sculpting you probably want to take a look at zbrush, there are loads of tutorials out there.

Aside from that, the lighting in your screenshots makes it look really flat - usually portrait photography is a nice reference for lighting and presenting characters.