Home Technical Talk

How learn to sculpt everthing

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
universe polycounter lvl 7
Hi, I'd like to ask you about sculpting everything you imagine - you can see it there https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onWhRE2zhzs&t=313s
I tried soo many times but I never succed. I try using many references and other stuff but I think that I can't read reference. Any advices?

Ps: Lately I cannot sculpt anything - I mean I cant sculpt things I could before and I'm rally stressed out becouse of it. Is it artistical burnout? How can I beat it?

Replies

• musashidan
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    Your post is very badly titled and thought out. Study and practice and a willingness/passion to progress. Simple enough. Just keep sculpting and you'll improve. Don't procrastinate by watching endless videos. Spend that time sculpting, once you've picked up a trick or 2. Maybe post some images of where you're at. Add some context. Look for critique. Asking 'how can I sculpt everything?' is just plain ridiculous. 
  • universe
    Offline / Send Message
    Ohh I see that this post is stupidly written, so trying to specify - I'd like to know how you approach on sculpting most likely oganic things that are diffrent from humans, so I dont know their anatomy details. Second question is how to use reference becouse it may be solution for the first question - When I sculpt humans I try to look at proporions of nose etc. and shapes like concave cheeks but I don't know how to see overall shape of non-human creature (like some blockouts or primitives in it) . Thanks for answer, tomorrow I'll try to sculpt some of "everythig", so You may be able to help me.
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Offline / Send Message
    Amsterdam Hilton Hotel insane polycounter
    these are big, abstract questions. you have to take action. you can't solve artistic block with words. there's no verbal solution to improving a skill.

decide on something specific you want to make. then make it, even if you do a bad job. people can help you once you have work to show. 
  • JordanN
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    Sculpting is difficult even though it looks hella fun to do.

But I also thought the same of generic 3d modeling until I practiced every day until it was nailed in my head. 
  • FourtyNights
    Offline / Send Message
    FourtyNights polycounter
    When styding human anatomy, you have to be consistent and study the anatomical foundations layer by layer, and part by part. This is usually a good way to start:

1. Overall proportions of the human body (typically a realistic 7.5 heads and heroistic 8 heads).
    2. Individual proportions of limbs (head, arms, torso, legs).
    3. Basic shapes and silhouette of the human body and its individual limbs.
    4. Bony landmarks, and learning all the names of the bones, limb by limb to keep it less overwhelming.
    5. All the muscles which create surface forms, limb by limb to keep it less overwhelming.
    6. Insertions, origins, fibers, tendons and ligaments of the muscles.

Collect a HUGE collection of anatomy books, .pdf books, image references and videos from anatomy instructors, teachers and tutorial makers, and you'll get started. Once you've got to a fairly good level of human anatomy knowledge you can adapt your skills to create creatures and animals as well. Be consistent, and studying anatomy is something you keep learning the rest of your life, you can always improve and get better by every character project (or by every anatomy sketch if you like to to do that as well).

Good thing to know when artists need to learn anatomy is that you don't necessarily need to learn ALL the muscles, but only those ones which create surface form. It may be a lot to learn, but it's still just a handful of muscles you need to know. BUT, it's a bonus to know more than just from the surface if your making things such as zombies with some exposed muscles under the first surface layer of muscles. That's extra though.
  • universe
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for all your replies. Today I'm going to to sculpt something and show you results. FourtyNights, I'll try to use your advice in learning anatomy. I spent a lot of time learning anatomy, so I have small knowledge but I can only use it in sculpting people, it does not helps much in other creatures. Here are some renders of my anatomy sculpts I did last month because in this month I couldn't create anything worth paying attention to. Thanks for help.

• universe
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys, I might got over the hump with this problem. I tired to sculpt - this time orc - different way - I started with some primitives. Then I sculpted some basic male head and I made him an orc. Here's render and film, which shows how I made it:

https://youtu.be/ZjCZ4toxeTY