Home Unity

Would anyone be interested in helping create a unique material for Unity5?

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
oraeles77 polycounter lvl 4
I use Substance Designer and Unity5.

I am not sure if this could be set up in Substance Designer as a Substance and exported to Unity.

I need a material which could allow multiple materials/textures maps stacked ontop of each other, with each one using a different UV set.

currently you can only add a 'secondary map' with the option of using alternative UV sets.

the other possibly is to add extra material slots to the mesh, in the material tab, however the new slots will only affect the primary/top material and not any other materials the mesh already has applied. also this option wouldnt let me utilise different UV sets.

I know nothing on scripting, if anyone wanted to help make that I am sure it would be useful to lots of people.

Replies

• RyanB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is easy to do, but it performs poorly and is not useful for most commercial games.  When you have multiple materials and then blend/lerp between them, the GPU does a complete calculation of each material and then blends between them.  That's a lot of wasted GPU time.
  • oraeles77
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oraeles77 polycounter lvl 4
    ok, thank you for replying.

i understand its not commerically viable cause of GPU etc. but i would like to learn how, is it something which can only be done with c code scripting or can it be done with a SD substance?