Home Technical Talk

[Normal Map Artifacts Toubleshoot]

MonkTiger
vertex
Offline / Send Message
MonkTiger vertex

Hello! Can you help me figuring out the problems of these artifacts above? 
Picture #1- Is it due to wrong vertex normal?
Picture #2 - Same as #2?
Picture #3- Why is this happening?

Should I create my custom cage?
If so, how do I hijack custom cage in Maya (In bulk)?
 Thank you!

Replies

• MonkTiger
  • MonkTiger
  • Thanez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanez interpolator
    These are all cage issues, m8. Always make a custom one for such advanced shapes. Google will help you with both the "how" questions.
    #1 - skewed details due to vertex normals pointing at weird places. Weird=/=wrong tho.
    #2 - is the same as #2, yeah, but without seeing your highpoly IDK what's going on.
    #3 - Ray distance was too short.
    #4 - waviness (as well as #3 again?).
    #5 - #3 but opposite. 
  • daniellooartist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    daniellooartist polycounter lvl 11
    Agreed. I'm not sure what you mean by "hijack " but when looking at your cage, check for...
    1: Same smoothing as the low (it looks like you added hard normals and UV splits in the right places.)
    2: Make sure the low poly is air tight around the high.
    3: Make sure the cage is air tight around the low AND the high. Edit the cage manually and don't just inflate by normals.

Have these been done @MonkTiger?
  • MonkTiger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MonkTiger vertex
    @Thanez and @daniellooartist thank you for responding! I really appreciate your feedbacks. As I have suspected it IS a cage issue, with rays going out in unexpected directions. 

What I learned after talking to @florianneuman is that all these issues can be solved using Marmoset Toolbag's normal map baking!

I am a Maya user and creating a cage in maya is extremely funky when it comes to project of this magnitude(where there are so many different parts) and hijacking these cages off of tranfer map is tedious, and frankly, outdated, I found that a solution is offered in Marmoset.

It's super awesome, that there are ALWAYS answers that is more efficient and cleaner. What a world we live in.

Everyone should take advantage of Marmoset toolbag's normal-map baking, as it offers ways to fix skewed distorted details without a hustle with just a touch and automated mask generator that can be easily moved into Substance Painter as an ID. ITS COOL!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_2LlmbFBbc&t=21s
    Cheers!