Home General Discussion

Making use of a second computer

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
Zack Maxwell interpolator
A while ago I got a Mac mini for uploading iOS apps to iTunes, but I don't feel like I'm getting nearly as much use out of it as I could.
The piece of crap only has netbook-grade hardware, but I'm sure there's some way that an extra computer could benefit one's work.
Does anyone have any ideas?
At first I thought I might use it to manage all of my social media, helping to build a following and advertise my assets. Social media management software turned out to be stupidly expensive though, so I'm second-guessing that option.

Replies

• Ashervisalis
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    If you're looking into social media management, have you tried Hootsuite? My friend just got a job working for them and raves about it all the time.

As for the second computer... I'm thinking multiple computers are almost pointless these days. If you've already got 2 monitors hooked up, there's no point in having a second computer :D
  • pior
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
     Why not selling it - Macs hold their value for a while don't they ?
  • Zack Maxwell
    Offline / Send Message
    If you're looking into social media management, have you tried Hootsuite? My friend just got a job working for them and raves about it all the time.
    They doubled the price this year. To make that kind of investment, I'd have to be confident that I would actually turn a profit from it.
    I suppose I can test it out with the one month trial.
    -Edit- Ha! When I checked it last night, the free version was gone. It seems to be back again though, so I'll jump on that. Cost might no longer be an issue
  • Zack Maxwell
    Offline / Send Message
    pior said:
    I'm pretty reluctant to do that. I'm not working on any iOS apps at the moment, but if I do in the future I would still need it.
    More importantly, it would be pretty difficult to sell it. Amazon has seriously gone downhill, and I haven't had any good experiences selling with it recently. And eBay added an upfront fee of like 15% a while back, that you pay whether it sells are not. With the Mac Mini, that'd be around $90 just to list it.
  • pior
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Indeed, not really worth selling then ! Well, you'll probably find a use for it eventually. I still have my 2009 15inch Macbook, probably of similar specs and it does come in handy from time to time, mostly for light browsing. I suppose an old Mini could be okay as a retro emulation box ...
  • Joopson
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    I have a second computer that I use for something really neat-- collecting dust.

On another note, can you really only publish iOS apps using an apple computer?
  • Zack Maxwell
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson said:
    I have a second computer that I use for something really neat-- collecting dust.

On another note, can you really only publish iOS apps using an apple computer?
    Yep. They have some pretty draconian policies in general. Shopping apps are basically no longer a thing on iOS for example, because any sales made through it would have to pay a royalty to Apple. You can only browse
  • Semi
    Offline / Send Message
    Semi triangle
    Well if youre into that, you could use it for mining, althought I'm not quite sure it would be profitable. Other than that, you could use it as additionnal storage I guess? 
  • throttlekitty
    lol mining on a netbook.

You could use it as a basic server in your home to manage or sync external storage/backups or be your media player or something. Some people get crazy into having smarthome connectivity, but that seems like a lot of work and you'd need extra hardware for that anyway.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Have a couple kids, they love extra computers. Minecraft. etc.
  • Zack Maxwell
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't think it could handle minecraft. It chugs just trying to open Finder :D
  • throttlekitty
    Grimwolf said:
    I don't think it could handle minecraft. It chugs just trying to open Finder :D
    turn it into a wicked beer bong!1
  • EarthQuake
    Grimwolf said:
    pior said:
    I'm pretty reluctant to do that. I'm not working on any iOS apps at the moment, but if I do in the future I would still need it.
    More importantly, it would be pretty difficult to sell it. Amazon has seriously gone downhill, and I haven't had any good experiences selling with it recently. And eBay added an upfront fee of like 15% a while back, that you pay whether it sells are not. With the Mac Mini, that'd be around $90 just to list it.
    I would second selling it, if you're not getting any use of it, get rid of it while it still has some resale value. eBay does *not* charge a 15% fee if the item is not sold, I'm not sure where you heard that from. There is an insertation fee that you are charged even if your item doesn't sell, but this is generally less than a dollar, and eBay is almost always running a promotion where the insertation fee is waived.

You can calculate the fee for sold items here: http://www.fees.ebay.com/feeweb/feecalculator
  • Zack Maxwell
    Offline / Send Message
    Grimwolf said:
    pior said:
    I would second selling it, if you're not getting any use of it, get rid of it while it still has some resale value. eBay does *not* charge a 15% fee if the item is not sold, I'm not sure where you heard that from. There is an insertation fee that you are charged even if your item doesn't sell, but this is generally less than a dollar, and eBay is almost always running a promotion where the insertation fee is waived.

You can calculate the fee for sold items here: http://www.fees.ebay.com/feeweb/feecalculator
    You're right, it looks like I'd only be charged ~$25, if it sells. Ebaying the thing does look like a good option.