Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Old Joel

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Slobade polycounter lvl 12
Hi everyone !

This is my last piece done during Ryan Kingslien's boot-camp.

The goal here was to imagine Joel from the last of us, older. To be perfectly honest I don't think I succeeded. I was torn between likeness and making look older. And I feel it just ended up a bit bland.

But that's ok. I learned a lot, but my next character will be BALD !

See you soon !

Replies

• FourtyNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FourtyNights polycounter
    I think you got the likeness really good, even though he doesn't look older than the original, like you said. But sculpting work is great, and I like the movie/AAA game -type density of the topology. The thickness of the shirt around the collar is a bit too thin. Could be thicker to look better, especially when camera moves avay from him a bit to keep those edges visible without getting too jagged edges from anti-aliasing trying to compensate.

You could still push textures, because that's where the blandness is coming in. Materials seems to be a bit washed out and especially the roughness on clothes is too soft and constant. All the clothing including boots and backpack could use some stitching as well. He's is also missing his broken wristwatch which has the biggest sentimental value for Joel by still wearing it. But you can add it now, because it's pretty simply sitting on the wrist.

I guess older Joel from this would be pretty much close to a grandpa, lol. So, I don't know. I think by improving textures you can get a real good porfolio piece from this.
  • Slobade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The watch ! I forgot the watch !
    Thanks for your comment man. I got a bit busy and I'm kind of sick of this guy but you are totally right: He must have the watch ! (I even made a tan line for it and I forgot >.<)

I also made the lighting less busy. 

And a turn around just for fun:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Yl0TjnZSHY

On to the next one !

• Swaggernaut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swaggernaut polycounter lvl 2
    Really nice job on the likeness!

Another thing I would say is the hair is a bit curlier than what you got. Also the eyes are a bit smaller.

Again great job!
  • Slobade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hahaha! You just named My 2 biggest weakness.

But thanks ;)