Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UE4] Florence street scene

stuman
triangle
Offline / Send Message
stuman triangle
Hey guys, I've been working on this Florence street scene as a personal side project on the weekends to practice more Substance Designer/Painter/Zbrush. I've been a long time lurker of Polycount over the years but figured it was time to jump in and finally post something!

It's still WIP but I wanted to start sharing it to get any feedback and crits as I try to wrap it up. I have a few props that I want to make to fill out the street a bit more, especially in the foreground (a bike, signs, maybe a scooter or something) but I feel like it's getting to a point where I should start sharing my progress.

A few quick wip shots of some of the props so far.

Replies

• stuman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stuman triangle
    Updated shot with some progress, spline pipes, cables, roofs etc.
  • FreneticPonies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FreneticPonies polycounter lvl 3
    It looks incredible! But.... off somehow? I think it's the lighting setup, it's all cheated. And unfortunately in a dark night scene it becomes a lot more obvious that it is. I'd try cutting out some of the cheated point lights and seeing if indirect lighting can light the scene instead.
  • Erwannd2d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Erwannd2d polycounter lvl 2
    I really like the resut you got man, however I think it might be good to vary the intensity of the lights comming from inside the windows. And it might seem odd but try to blur your background to make the foregound more important. Anyways nice env work, cheers !
  • JLeeD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JLeeD polycounter lvl 3
    Hey! Your pavement bricks are looking a bit big and its throwing the scale of the scene off! Really badass work so far, super lovely :)
  • Maximum-Dev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Precomputed AO mask can probably add some really nice variations on the buildings if you use it to make them look more aged.
  • stuman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stuman triangle
    Appreciate the feedback so far guys!

@FreneticPonies @Erwannd2d I agree, it's always felt "off" to me too. The lighting setup there has definitely got some faking going on which has made it muddy and not very easy to read. I need to use a little less of the UE3 lighting tricks and just let UE4 do its thing haha.

@JLeeD I've actually been trying to go off a bunch of different reference from the internet as well as my personal photos from when I visited there. Florence has so many variants of cobble stones with some that are really over scaled (same with some of the brick buildings). I think what might be hurting it as well is just not having props and other things to help sell the scale in the street maybe? I think I need to take another pass on this material as it's also looking a bit flat and could use some love.

@Maximum-Dev I'm actually using a Precomputed AO mask function I made on a bunch of the master materials for some of the AO Grime/Dirt on the walls in conjunction with some subtle vert painting. I think I might need to push that a little bit more though with some actual color/material variation like you said! The buildings are all looking a little similar and could use a bit more separation.

I've been super busy lately at work so I didn't get to mess with this much but I tried a new day lighting setup to see how it would look. It loses some atmosphere but I think with some tweaks, more color variation on the buildings, and getting some pops of color through signs and props, it might work!

• FreneticPonies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FreneticPonies polycounter lvl 3
    Nice, buuut now it looks too dark. I know lightmass isn't the best, so you might have to hack it a bit. Here's an actual Italian street

Here's an example

• stuman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stuman triangle
    Still slammed at work but managed to get some time to play with this a bit more. Tried to take a step back and redo some of the materials and lighting setup. Still feel like there's something not quite right but I think its improving. Also plopped in a camera with some subtle DOF and started blocking out some props (bike/plant pots) to begin figuring out everything else I need to make.

• Maximum-Dev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think the tower on the background is too flat, somehow looks as if there's no light cast on it from directional light? and it's too clean as well. Some dirt/stain decals on it would go a long way.

Street is reflecting the environment/sky way too uniformly. It would look a lot better if you modify the specular there to break up the reflectivity also some dirt along the street sides with higher roughness would help making it more convincing.

And generally you might want to add trims on the bottom parts of the buildings so you can have some dirt building up towards the ground surface.

Also breaks on this side of the building are going the wrong direction.

I'm watching the progress. :)
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    This is beautifull :) reminds me of overwatch.
  • stuman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stuman triangle
    Thanks @lotet!

Appreciate the feedback @Maximum-Dev!

I spent some more time on lighting as well as remaking the floor stone from scratch after getting some more practice with Substance Designer. The old one just wasn't working and was too plain, especially the roughness as you mentioned. I'm about to take another pass on some of the other materials too, like the brick and concrete to try and improve on them again as I become more comfortable in designer. I feel like I want to get them to a better spot with the lighting before I continue filling out all of the props and stuff.

I also started expanding the street so that I can play with the light direction and try to get some different camera angles of the street as the scene progress.

Here's some updated WIP shots of the street as well as a shot of the new ground cobble stone.

• Maximum-Dev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You've nailed the new floor material!
    New angle looks way better. Overall really cool progress.
    The only thing annoying me (only me) is the background tower. I'm really not sure why but I feel my eyes would've had a better time if it wasn't there. But again, that's just me. You're awesome either way! :)

Edit: Btw may I ask what chamfer size you have used on the wall corners?
  • RustySpannerz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RustySpannerz polycounter lvl 13
    This is really beautiful, reminds me of the Counter Strike map, Italy. 
  • stuman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stuman triangle
    Sorry for the slow response, was on vacation and out of town for a bit.

@Maximum-Dev Thanks! I might try and play with the scale and distance of the tower, see if I can get a bit more of the sky in there. I agree it kind of blurs the read a bit like you said. I like having it in there though as it's one of the iconic "Florence" parts of the scene.

I actually don't have a chamfer on the corners yet, although I was definitely planning on having a small one on them to smooth out the lighting and add a bit of warp to the edge, especially on the ones that stick out.

I focused the last few days on knocking out the bike prop and got it baked out and first pass texture. Need to tweak the edge wear/dirt some more etc. I also setup the material in UE4 so I can use any color for the frame to add a bit of variety when I throw some of these around in the scene.
    Quick Render:

In Engine:

Different color for variety

Also started making a new brick for some of the buildings in Substance Designer:

• stuman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stuman triangle
    Some updated shots with some of the new props/materials/signs etc. Both day and night scenarios. Will probably tweak a bit more but I think I'm close to wrapping this one up so I can take all of the lessons learned into a new scene. While I would do a lot of things differently next time, I've definitely learnt a lot and its been really valuable. Appreciate the comments and feedback from folks!

If anyone has any standout things they would change before I finish it up, let me know!