Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

Concept art/Matte painting piece (Critique much needed)

vertex

Matte painting practice following anthony eftekhari's workflow. Please point out any areas i could improve upon or things i should focus on. Thanks! 

Replies

• Tosmo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tosmo polycounter lvl 3
    Nice, I always like the cinematic wide frame, you seem to have a good sense of the mood you are going for  :) 

One thing you need to focus on (especially with Matte painting) is your composition. Right now your subject seems a bit small leave a lot of empty areas. Both subjects are a very horizontally centered in the image, and both are about an equal distance from the edge of the frame. Also when working primarily with photo texture is very important to have good reference, and make sure every texture jives with the rest of you image. Although making an image overcast or foggy make for an ambiguous light direction, this lighting environment can be difficult to render accurately. One issue the very strong light hitting the boat's sail's from the left side, while the rocks in the foreground and background are picking up light from the right side.

Hope some of what I said is helpful, keep up the practice  :)