Home Animation Showcase & Critiques

VFX and TV Animation Industry

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
BradleyMAdams polycounter lvl 3
What are the differences between say a 3D animation role in VFX (films) compared to TV, (TVshows) is TV a good starting point for an animator breaking into the industry? SInce I personally want to go into films more so.

Replies

• Arturow
    Offline / Send Message
    Arturow polycounter

Yes, it’s a good starting point :) I think the main difference is the quality and quantity hahaa. In TV you usually see a lot of holds and the company want you to mass produce. I remember that the animation director of Bardel told me they wanted quantity over quality (not that you can do a terrible job on the animation but you get it hahah :P more like an "ok" animation)

I have friends who made the jump from TV production houses to VFX studios ,they also tell that they got speed from working in a tv series ( but it’s hard to get a demo piece from the shots you work , maybe in other studios is different , like the series Oddbods which has a high quality).

• KielFiggins
    Offline / Send Message
    KielFiggins polycounter lvl 7
    VFX animation at larger studios is more specialized, you'll typically only be animating.  While TV studios might have you branching out more if you have the skillset, such as rigging/previz/dynamics.   Time is also a big difference, a commercial can be done in a matter of weeks while shots in film can take months.