Home Adobe Substance

pick colours from reference image? (painter)

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
CompanionCube polycounter lvl 12
Is there a way to pick colors from a reference image using the eyedropper in painter?
it seems the eyedropper only works in the 3D or UV view

Replies

• Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    If you use the eyedropper from the Color picker popup, you can pick any part of your screen.
  • CompanionCube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for reply Jerc. I'm not sure if the eyedropper is working properly. you can see i'm using an app called Pureref to have a reference image 'always on top'. i select the eye dropper and i have to hold the right click for the eyedropper cursor to float above my reference image (the red arrow is where the cursor would be) ,but it doesn't select the colour.

using substance painter 2017.1 on windows 10 with nvidia 1070 (driver 384.76)
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That could be down to however pureref does their on-top scheme or windows' compositing.

What I do for this is go back to windowed mode where I have Painter/Designer shrunk way down, pick my color, then maximize again.
  • CompanionCube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks throttlekitty. there is definitely something wrong with my setup. i tried just using windows image viewer and photoshop to display my image and then had painter next to the reference image. i activate the eyedropper and hold right click, then float above my reference image but doesn't seem to work. it works perfectly fine in the 3D/UV view.
  • hansolocambo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hansolocambo polycounter lvl 8
    I never even tried holding Right click for the eyedropper as I use the left click. Maybe your problem is coming from that (though I tried both right now and didn't have any issue). But something like 3D-Coat here is really missing, Picking colors from another app that needs to stay open on another screen is a pain, especially when using a Wacom. Huge loss of time. 3D-coat is so much better (for hand painting only).