[WIP] MZ14 Ruger 10/22 - Continued

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
JoshuaG polycounter lvl 3
I've decided to go back and fix up my MZ14 from the May Weapons Challenge. I've also been getting feedback on what to add, change, etc from work, and also got a little inspired by Michal Kubas's work on SGW3 with the little added pieces. Hence the taped on batteries for the flashlight. Plus the base weapon itself is a very boring plastic all round, so adding on select pieces can add some contrast to the texture.
Here's what I got so far. 

Replies

• Polygoblin
    Offline / Send Message
    Polygoblin polycounter lvl 7
    looking aces so far. grip is a bit rectangular, only thing that sticks out.
  • polygoo
    Offline / Send Message
    polygoo polycounter lvl 11
    Looking good dude! The wrap squeeze trigger thing on the grip might wanna soften it more is it rubber? Maybe exaggerate the ribs on grip itself more too. I think butt stock rubber part is bit too round too compared to ref

rotate the hex keys so they look like they are not perfectly straight.. tape would be better not straight too so it's more natural 

zip ties look bit odd in blockout should have the cut part sticking out not going parallel to rest of zip tie 
  • JoshuaG
    Offline / Send Message
    Calling it done on the High Poly. I decided to remove the full sling and left the end clip. 

• Pedro Amorim
    Hey dude, I'm so happy you're pumping out clean modeling and what not.  Very cool.

Regarding the weapon design itself. I would personally do some changes if this was for myself.

Firstly I would try and put a camera in the FPV position inside max or whatever app, and see what is visible of the gun in that view.
    Then I would try and move shit around so it makes that view more interesting.
    Perhaps move the sling from the back to the front. And move it to the left side. If you imagine a reload of this weapon, it would look pretty cool to have that sling move around with the motion.

Then perhaps, I would find some scope ref dials, and add a bunch of dials and buttons to the scope to make it looks more interesting.

Anyway, looking forward for more.
    Cheers!
  • JoshuaG
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Pedro. 
    I was actually pretty conflicted on the placement of the sling. I'm definitely in more favor of it being in the front. 

As far as the "scope," it's actually a laser (Imatronic LS45.) This bullpup kit and the laser came out around the same time, the late 80's/early 90's. Because both looked so futuristic and cool, they were featured together in a few films, most famously being in the opening shot of Terminator 2. The reason why I put this specific laser on it is a little nod to T2, probably my favorite film, and wanting to create something tactical for the time period. Otherwise just putting a normal scope on the rifle just makes it boring in my opinion. I should also mention little details like the screws will be rotated in the textured version. 

• JoshuaG
    Offline / Send Message
    Also mag.

• JoshuaG
    Offline / Send Message
    Also the base weapon itself. The lines that go across the heatguard and grip will be added in Substance Painter, along with any other small detail missing that would just take up more time to model.
  • Pedro Amorim
    Cool cool. Didn't know it was an actual weapon and scope. In anycase, you clearly got that right. So now it's more of a thing of making it look more interesting in terms of design. Unless you plan to make it super hot with materials. Harder tho' :)
    Keep going.
  • JoshuaG
    Offline / Send Message
    That's actually why I went back and started adding on some attachments. The whole weapon is nothing more than a plastic bullpup casing. The only materials that would stand out would be the metal barrel and the receiver. So I figured that adding in some things like a metal flashlight, ducktape, etc could break up the contrast of the materials just a bit to make it look far more appealing.

• Kobalt Kiwii
    Offline / Send Message
    Kobalt Kiwii polycounter lvl 4
    Looking really nice dude! I think maybe the fore grip front and back edges should be a bit rounder? In your original images the foregrip is modelled as separate piece and in the latest it looks like its modelled into the rest of it. also in the Ref the plates on the sides look like they are separate pieces? around the ejection port especially. So could be nice to actually have that stuff separated with a nice sharp edge between the pieces of plastic, it'll give you a bit more contrast in your edges and you don't get the appearance that the whole thing has come out of a mould fully formed. Also you can give subtle differences to the different pieces of plastic such as one piece that has been taken off for maintenance a lot and so is worn a bit differently to the rest etc.

Looking forward to seeing what you do with it :) personally really like the sling at the front too, makes the FPV more interesting and you can add some character and story to the weapon there.

My internet is so awful I can't upload images atm but I hope you get what i mean
  • JoshuaG
    Offline / Send Message
    I had yet to combine the pieces in ZBrush in the first images. The ones after that were after I dynameshed the pieces together to get that merged plastic. 
    Some of the smaller stuff like the lines around the ejection port will be done in Substance Painter with height maps. 
  • Kobalt Kiwii
    Offline / Send Message
    Kobalt Kiwii polycounter lvl 4
    Had a look for some other images and found some which show the fore grip more clearly and oops my bad! It is all one injection moulded piece. Sorry bout that. looking forward to seeing the rest
  • JoshuaG
    Offline / Send Message
    Base weapon low poly made and baked. Tris count 11128. I'm going ahead with texturing the base weapon before moving onto the attachments.