Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP - I'm learning character sculpting - some critiques would be really helpful :)

Offline / Send Message
Pinned
 So I'm trying to learn character sculpting in Zbrush. I have a lot of experience in 3D but only in environment (mainly vehicle, prop,...) I have done a few character sculpting project but only in a basic level. My knowledge about human anatomy is average.
My goal is to become (or at least try to) an expert in character sculpting (mainly human), I know it a tough goal for someone who only worked on environment, but this is something I really want to do for a long time but haven't got the time to work on.
Anyway I started sculpting a little bit, and thinking that I really need some expert advises. I'm gonna post some of my WIP project as soon as possible, hope to see your opinions about it.

Cheers,

Replies

• trungnguyenc4fe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Here is the WIP, this is 4 days work, I spend about 1 - 3 hours each day. Right now only the torso have details, on the process the thing that struggle me the most is that I can't really make her "curvy", It's really hard to make out the silhouette and the flow of the muscle, obviously because I'm just starting. Can you give me any opinion on this? it would really help me. Also is there any method or exercise that you recommend?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • trungnguyenc4fe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would suggest starting with an ecorche class - It's invaluable to have that anatomy reference in your mind as you sculpt.  That being said it looks like you are going into details too early - work the overall forms at the lowest res you can tolerate and nail them - then step up the rez and do another pass.  If you work over torso, arms, legs, and think that way you'll get a very stiff and disjointed result.

https://gumroad.com/grassetti
    https://gumroad.com/jimvikstrom

Thanks man, your reply really helped, I'll take a look on those ecorche class. I've heard about Scott Eaton anatomy and Zbrush course, been thinking about taking it, but I'm not so sure. As a beginner these ecorche course look really scary :smiley:, but I'll definitely look into it.
  • trungnguyenc4fe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey after a while I decide to update my process a little bit:

So I tried to learn to do some ecorche sculpting, I think it help me while a bit, but the process is really slow and I still try to find the time to continue with it. I also pick up the book "ZBrush Digital Sculpting Human Anatomy" by Scott Spencer to read (I know some of you will probably recommend me to read or get the education from other sources like Scott Eaton or other artists, but I looked over them all and found that somehow the way of Scott Spencer really suit me, and I also like the superhero style) After sometimes of intensive reading and learning I decide to go for a little project to learn the very basic knowledge and sculpted a base male mesh, aka start fresh and easy.

Here is the result, I really need some critique if there are any (I know there are a lot), but please remember this is consider a base (Or medium detailed) sculpture, at this point the main goal is to have corrected proportion, shape and gesture(?). I sculpted this base on the 8 head figure proportion.

(ps: the hand is kinda small, isn't it?)

• trungnguyenc4fe
  • trungnguyenc4fe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Male base:

the chest looks a bit stretched out (it has lines)

Where are the knee caps?

The feet look like they have no toes and they look webbed together.

And the belly button?

I would suggest fixing this, and i would also like to know what you used as a reference photo, so i can properly critique this model.

Hope i helped,

BlenderHeadZ

Thanks for your comment, i'll look into them, about the reference, i use Scott Spencer existing zbrush file so I can see clearly the muscle. I find this is much more efficient than photo reference, though I also use some of his photo.
    About the feet and belly button, i mentioned this is still a somewhat base mesh, I'll finish them later.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • jacopoS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jacopoS polycounter
    Hi,
    It's a good start overall!
    At a quick glance, looks like the guy's forearms are longer than his arms. It should be the other way around!
  • trungnguyenc4fe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jacopoS said:
    Hi,
    It's a good start overall!
    At a quick glance, looks like the guy's forearms are longer than his arms. It should be the other way around!
    Thank you, so i'm not the only one who think that it's weird. I'll fix the forearm like you said.
    I also think the knee, the chest are a little bit off, even at the early stage. I'll look more into it.
    Also I'll work more on the back.
    And maybe an overall proportion check, i think i'll put a model of a skeleton inside my base mesh. Maybe that'll make things easier to see.
  • stororokw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stororokw polycounter lvl 3
    same advice as before - there still seems to be a fundamental misunderstanding of skeletal anatomy and the muscle origins and insertions in relation to the skeleton and how those features express themselves through the skins surface.
    Thanks for your comment, i'll look into them, about the reference, i use Scott Spencer existing zbrush file so I can see clearly the muscle. I find this is much more efficient than photo reference, though I also use some of his photo.
    About the feet and belly button, i mentioned this is still a somewhat base mesh, I'll finish them later.

I haven't read Scott Spencer's book, so I don't know what his sculpt looks like or how he teaches, but I like TeriyakiStyle's advice. I think the construction is lacking.
    For example you currently have the scapula straight yet his arm (humerus) is raised about 50 degrees, so the scapula should be rotated ≈10 degrees (2:1 ratio). This causes the muscles that attach to it to look strange, in this case the teres major.
    Also I dont see any landmarks at this early stage like the acromion, patella, 7th cervical vertebra, asis, psis etc. from which to start placing/sculpting your muscles and volumes. The legs being the most obvious offender.

Heres a video which you might find helpful. The sculpting starts 30 minutes in.

• trungnguyenc4fe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stororokw said:
    I haven't read Scott Spencer's book, so I don't know what his sculpt looks like or how he teaches, but I like TeriyakiStyle's advice. I think the construction is lacking.
    For example you currently have the scapula straight yet his arm (humerus) is raised about 50 degrees, so the scapula should be rotated ≈10 degrees (2:1 ratio). This causes the muscles that attach to it to look strange, in this case the teres major.
    Also I dont see any landmarks at this early stage like the acromion, patella, 7th cervical vertebra, asis, psis etc. from which to start placing/sculpting your muscles and volumes. The legs being the most obvious offender.

Heres a video which you might find helpful. The sculpting starts 30 minutes in.
    Wow, really throughout, this is really helped, thanks a lot man. I'll fix soon.