Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Character Art Portfolio Critique

polygon
Offline / Send Message
Sabtherobot polygon
Its my first time posting here but I recently graduated college and am working to be a character artist and would really appreciate any critique on my portfolio.  If you have any suggestions on what projects I can do to beef it up or anything on it that you think I should remove please let me know!
http://sebastiangat.net/

Any comments and feedback would be appreciated, thank you all for the help!

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    None of this slideshow timed images ridiculousness in the beginning.  I want to see your art quickly and easily.  Thumbnails or something similar.

Strider could use more interesting skin work.  It's reading flat.  Even human skin isn't flat.  Where are birthmarks?  Where are discolorations?  Pores?  It's a solid base though, but there's so much more you could do.

Effie is solid and dope.  Style and pose reads clear.  Face is done well.  Could use a brighter lighting scheme.  I would also want to see the original concept.

Gremlin is solid.

Luluco gets to stay if you can fix her face.  Those eyes look bad, but that's more critique of the art style than the technicals.

Good job contextualizing the Golem in a game screenshot.

Seeing from your hard surface work, your design sense for them is still weak.  That could use more work and practice.

I get an overall read you're personally interested in working in games that look like Stephen Universe, Rick and Morty, Tumblr comics, etc.  I would appreciate one realistic character model for the sake of showing your breadth.

Axe a lot of the doodles that do not look good.  This means a lot of the hard surface stuff as well.  Stuff it away in a sketchbook, not your porfolio.

• AgelosAp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AgelosAp polycounter
    Hey Sebastian, I'd keep the first 3 characters, that is the martian, Effie and the gremlin, that's what you included in the reel anyway so you know these are the strongest pieces/most relevant.
    For the site structure you don't need a home page, just go straight to the portfolio  so people can see your work laid out as soon as possible and you may want to leave the reel tab out or make it like a project in the portfolio section.
    If you are willing to work more on those 3 pieces I'd go more into texturing the Martian, which has a good base model but the texture is super simple and doesn't work with the anatomy details, whereas Effie's texture is simple but works very well and makes it your strongest piece overall I think.
  • Sunray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sunray polycounter lvl 7
    You should listen to what these guys have to say https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_4Srm6jIno
  • Sabtherobot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sabtherobot polygon
    Thanks a ton for the feedback! Ill work to make these changes and fixes!