Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Spooky House on the Street - Renders

JJobson98
vertex
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
JJobson98 vertex
I recently uploaded a 3D model I created, but have now done some renders and edited them. Would love to hear what you all think, feedback is much appreciated.

Replies

• Amaury
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amaury polycounter lvl 7
    What is your renderer ? Your images are really dark, especially the ground and it looks like the house is floating in space in your first renders. Even by night there should be some ambient lighting. I like the style you're going for, reminds me of this : https://www.artstation.com/artwork/yE023

However, in terms of style, it could be greatly improved. The trees feel really cheap and the tiling bump doesn't help either. How about making something along those lines ? See how the first 2 examples are curved and have a more interesting silhouette :

It might be just me but the small houses on the side feels like they don't belong here. The windows are obviously duplicated and the top ones are the same but scaled horizontally. You can fix that by modifying some angles, throw some FFDs in there so that each element of the scene is unique.
    About the main house, how about making the top roof the same way you did it below, with tiles ? You can put some wooden slabs or bricks intersecting with the edges of the walls to add variety and break up the cutting-sharp angles too.

I think this stylized look can be fun to model as it is no technical hassle and puts you in full artistic mode, and the key to it is to really try to break up the shapes, symmetry, and make it impossible to tell "ok that brick is just a cube primitive left untouched"

Basically take that idea of, for example, breaking the shutter on the right window, and apply that as much as possible to your scene. :smile:

Finally, dump out the lens flares !
  • JJobson98
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JJobson98 vertex
    Amaury said:
    What is your renderer ? Your images are really dark, especially the ground and it looks like the house is floating in space in your first renders. Even by night there should be some ambient lighting. I like the style you're going for, reminds me of this : https://www.artstation.com/artwork/yE023

However, in terms of style, it could be greatly improved. The trees feel really cheap and the tiling bump doesn't help either. How about making something along those lines ? See how the first 2 examples are curved and have a more interesting silhouette :

It might be just me but the small houses on the side feels like they don't belong here. The windows are obviously duplicated and the top ones are the same but scaled horizontally. You can fix that by modifying some angles, throw some FFDs in there so that each element of the scene is unique.
    About the main house, how about making the top roof the same way you did it below, with tiles ? You can put some wooden slabs or bricks intersecting with the edges of the walls to add variety and break up the cutting-sharp angles too.

I think this stylized look can be fun to model as it is no technical hassle and puts you in full artistic mode, and the key to it is to really try to break up the shapes, symmetry, and make it impossible to tell "ok that brick is just a cube primitive left untouched"

Basically take that idea of, for example, breaking the shutter on the right window, and apply that as much as possible to your scene. :smile:

Finally, dump out the lens flares !
    Thank you so much for all this feedback, i'll go back to working on it. I use Mental Ray to render, but i've always seemed to have a problem of the scene being to dark so I reckon the ambient light might just give it what it's been missing.

The trees were like that because it was meant to be kept like a low poly/simple design at first but i'm doing to scrap that and improve them. Never thought about using FFD for them, I'm not sure Maya has that but i assume Lattice is it/the same? 

As for the houses, it was mean to be like a street so I didn't know how else to show that without houses either side. But it was meant to be like that they're the just small background parts compared to the main house.