Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Fallout 4: Institute Computer Terminal - Would like feedback on material building

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Beard3D Bandit polycounter lvl 7
Hi guys! I've been working on this terminal a little longer than I planned. But I have been getting to grips with a workflow that suits me using Blender and Hardsurfacing (both of which I'm not used too).

So I've created my HP, retopo'd it and baked it all in painter. I want to show the age of through both the typical aging of each material and the collection of dust.

Materials used:
main shell = painted metal (not sure if it's an enamel i'm technically trying to go for!)
black metal =  a rougher painted/coated steel (also used for the under paneling of the machine.
rubber = obvious signs of aging and collection of dust
plastic = keys on the keyboard should be plastic, with signs of aging, overuse and chip damage.

You will notice some parts aren't yet having materials assigned (screen + light underneath) those will be after I get the shell and other main pieces right.

Here's a couple of screenshots anyways.

baked in painter (nrm,height,curv,AO)

the dust ont he metal arm is alot rougher than the under neath of it.

for the rubber backing I wanted to try get some dust and perhaps some subtle mold developing. This machine is basically abandoned, but not left outside to weather harshly, but rather subtly suggest age and wearing.

Feedback would be awesome! Like I said, I am looking for material-specific feedback. if you need UV's I can show.

Thanks in advance
Peace!
Beardy.

EDIT. one more thing, there are still grills and stickers and other doodad details to be going into this. once I'm able to comfortably establish the base materials. :)

Replies