Home Technical Talk

crease from 3d max in maya

dlz
dlz
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
dlz polycounter lvl 4
I see a lot of 3d max tutorials of how to model hard surfaces that uses crease modifier in the model so they dont have to make 2 or 3 edges near each other to make a crease but i dont know how to proceed with that technique in maya. 
Also what are the advantages and inconvenients of using that technique over the traditional hard surface modeling of puting edges near the edge that you want to be more crease in smooth version? 
I hope i explained that correctly.
Thanks.

Replies

• musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    Creasing is a great way to do sub-d but you still need to add control loops to fully take advantage. The downside is that the creasing isn't always transferable between software. I'm not sure how you do it in Maya. I think you create edge selection sets and adjust the crease weight in the attribute editor. Or maybe it has a crease manager dialogue. A quick look in the Maya documentation will tell you.
  • dlz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dlz polycounter lvl 4
    @musashidan  But if you add control loops what es the reason of adjusting the crease of an edge ?
    I mean, adding simply control loops will make the edge more "sharp" in the smooth version so why to use the crease too?
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Because if the base topology is too low and there are large faces with no supporting geometry then the subd algorithm will be under too much tension and the creasing will show artifacting. I'm not saying you have to add control/support loops as you usually would with traditional subd modeling but, in a lot of cases you will have to add them to ease the tension when the topology is subdivided.

Here's a tutorial I did a few years ago explaining what I mean. It's for Zbrush but is the exact same principles:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqMQqjs0qpw

• dlz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dlz polycounter lvl 4
    musashidan Thank you for the answers and nice tutorial!
    There are some things i dont understand completely when you convert the creased edges in geometry why you did that? this is for transfer between softwares? if you export the mesh like .obj it doesnt mantain the creases? also i notice you crease some edges and make suport edges in others. In wich cases would be better to do the creases in what cases the suport edges?

• musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I collapse it to geo to show the feature in Zbrush. Creasing does transfer between ZB and Maya, and Max and Maya, but not Max and ZB. As for knowing when to use creases and when to add edgeloops, this is simply a matter of both modeling experience and deciding on the fly. It's something you'll know yourself the more you model using these methods.