Home Animation Showcase & Critiques

Animbreak Respawn WIP

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
RKirtlink polycounter lvl 7
I've started my first spline pass on my entry for this month's Animbreak challenge and critique would be really appreciated. I've got the base of what I want, but I'm hoping to add a lot of polish and put more into it. Alongside fixing things up, I'm planning to add a pretty dramatic camera and dust/rocks shooting up when he lands on the ground. I'm open to any suggestions that you guys have :)

First pass on my Camera:
https://www.syncsketch.com/playground/cdbd39e74cf245deb051038cf7487fa2#198371

Current Playblast of my scene:
https://www.syncsketch.com/playground/1cffa7e489e346aeb2c3253ce3ecd220#197463

Replies

• AnthonyAnimation
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AnthonyAnimation greentooth
    It's coming along nicely! A few notes- He could hit a more dramatic pose when coming out of his somersault. This will help give contrast to his falling pose. Really pay attention to the arc and spacing as he's coming out of the portal. You want him to be rotating around the center of mass and that's what you can track. The fall is too even. Have a slow-out then smear him (especially the legs) before he hits the ground. 

Also consider changing his landing pose.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgOtPXDyKjA
  • RKirtlink
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really good call fixing the timing of the fall and the arc when he comes out of the portal. Do you have any ideas for the pose when he comes out of the somersault? I'll have to play around with it more.
  • AnthonyAnimation
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There are a lot of options. You could do a slight bounce to transfer the momentum, have him actually go into the ground and get stuck before popping out, a stumble, an overhead slam so he lands with his fists, a roll...

Action for coming out of the portal, some flourish or dispelling of energy. Think of it as a magician making an entrance "I'm heeerree!"
  • Archanex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Archanex polycounter lvl 18
    left some messages on syncsketch for you, looking forward to seeing your progress!
  • Hito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hito interpolator
    //Curmudgeon mode
    Can't say I'm fan of "3-point" landings. That video really has at least 3 very different landings, two of which are just for show. The real landing would have both feet under the body mass so you have the maximum amount of cushioning for the head (brain). Hand can land as well, but mainly for balance, not shock absorption. Best examples from that video are Maj Kusanagi, Evangelion 02, the guy from Treasure Planet, Wonder Woman. I consider this the real proper landing pose.

Spiderman and iRobot are sort of inbetween, not great, but passable.

Showy type 1 is typical comic book hero landing, feet spread apart front and back, plus one arm. You can do this easily if you just jump up from standing then land. But very difficult if you're really landing from any real height. Most of the video shows this type, Ironman, Air Bender, the blue thing from that Michael Bay movie.

Showy type 2 is really really poor. The kind with one leg sticking out to the side. Matrix, Scott Pilgrim guy are worse offenders. I got nothing good to say about this landing. This really isn't a 3 point landing at all, but 2: one leg + one arm.
    //Curmudgeon mode

Enough venting, back to relevant stuff. :D

I think you can do a much bigger arc, like a Hulk leap. And and Hulk leap pose would really fit the character too. Really bulk him up if the rig allows scaling. I'd open the portal faster, maybe 5 frames, then a bit of delay, 10~15 frames, before character comes out.

For the camera, I'd try a close up to start, portal taking up most the screen when fully open, then quick truck out as character bursts out. stay in the air with the character, close up/medium, for a second or so; then cut to a low angle full body shot from the ground for the landing and final pose. Alternatively I would try a stationary camera, super long lens on the portal opening and character bursting out and flying through the air. then fast rack back to shorter lens for the landing, low angle full body shot.
  • RKirtlink
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Don't worry about the 3-point landing haha I wasn't planning on going too over the top with it. I'm thinking to sell the landing more I can have rocks and dust shoot up and maybe even make a small crater under him, which would go along really well with a more "hulkish" leap. Thanks for the feedback!
  • Hito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hito interpolator
    LOL no not saying they shouldn't be used (cept maybe the matrix one). I'm guilty of doing 3 point landings too. Entirely up to animator's choice. I just object to them all being lumped together as if the same.
  • RKirtlink
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's another quick playblast of the progress I've made. Still working on applying some of the feedback I got but I think it's a step in the right direction.

https://www.syncsketch.com/playground/1cffa7e489e346aeb2c3253ce3ecd220#197463
  • _adamturnbull
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey man, good job! I've left some quick notes on syncsketch. Feel free to take it or leave it! :) and let me know if something doesn't make sense
  • RKirtlink
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright I've made a bunch of changes and did the first pass of my camera now. Would definitely appreciate some tips for the camerawork though, that's something I need to work on for sure.

https://www.syncsketch.com/playground/cdbd39e74cf245deb051038cf7487fa2#198371
  • AnthonyAnimation
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think the camera is facing too far down at the start and is also a little too close. If you're going to have it face down into the hole, then make it a cylinder where you can see him start to come out of rather than popping in. The change in rotation is making things noisy. It's rotating to the right up until f50 where it jerks left. With the upwards angle as he falls you'll really want to watch the silhouette.