Software:
Maya LT
substance designer
unreal engine 4/marmoset 3
speedtree maybe....big maybe

Questions:

Does scale need to be reduced?
Do I need to do more set dressing?
Anyone know any stone column tutorials in substance designer?

This is a diorama I'm going to working on.  Feedback appreciated. 

Mood lighting reference / vegetation reference.   Will have to dig for extra reference.

Replies

• kysg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kysg polycounter lvl 3
  • kysg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kysg polycounter lvl 3
    This updated blockout.

Questions as follows
    1.  Is ground texture scale working?
    2.  Do I need to do more set dressing?
    3.  Anyone know any stone column tutorials in substance designer?

• griffitii
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    griffitii greentooth
    Hi @kysg

I would exaggerate the scale of the building. Definitely make it taller that way when you look up at it in first person it will feel like it's looming over you. I'd also expand the rock either side of building so it fills up more space in the screen. This will make it easier to check your scale and look of the diorama as the sky won't be leaking into the frame. You may also want to create a rock set (3 or 4 variations of rock) and create the cliff face out of these rather than one unique rock piece. 

Don't worry about finalising the set dressing, just work up your block out and gradually turn these into your final assets.

Hope that helps!
  • kysg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kysg polycounter lvl 3
    griffitii said:
    Hi @kysg

I would exaggerate the scale of the building. Definitely make it taller that way when you look up at it in first person it will feel like it's looming over you. I'd also expand the rock either side of building so it fills up more space in the screen. This will make it easier to check your scale and look of the diorama as the sky won't be leaking into the frame. You may also want to create a rock set (3 or 4 variations of rock) and create the cliff face out of these rather than one unique rock piece. 

Don't worry about finalising the set dressing, just work up your block out and gradually turn these into your final assets.

Hope that helps!

Hi would texel density be a problem at that point?  Since it would occupy 90% of screen in FPV view?
  • griffitii
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    griffitii greentooth
    Is this just a portfolio piece? If so I wouldn't worry about texel density. If you're using a kit of rock assets (and say each one had a 2K texture) then you'll be getting a lot of bang for your buck as you won't be losing resolution as you scale and rotate each one into position. 
  • kysg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kysg polycounter lvl 3

Working on the dirt texture.  Was hoping on feedback on how I could improve the Normals.  Have reference posted below.

• kysg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kysg polycounter lvl 3
  • FreneticPonies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FreneticPonies polycounter lvl 3
    Textures have promise up close, but are fairly repetitive far away. You'd need a lot of blending to get rid of it, or just make it less repetitive at base.
  • RogelioD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RogelioD polycounter lvl 12
    Definitely got a great start going! As someone else mentioned, the materials look pretty good up close but tend to get a bit repetitious from far away. I know we all have different workflow but I would also get a bit more modeling in there before you dive in to a ton of material work. I always like to have all the different objects in the scene represented; even if it is just a cube or crude shape. For me this is a great way to plan out everything and make sure you have all the different elements in the scene and see how they are playing together. As I said before, definitely a promising start! Looking forward to seeing how you can expand upon this and make it even better than the concept!  :)
  • Carabiner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Carabiner greentooth
    RogelioD said:
    Definitely got a great start going! As someone else mentioned, the materials look pretty good up close but tend to get a bit repetitious from far away. I know we all have different workflow but I would also get a bit more modeling in there before you dive in to a ton of material work. I always like to have all the different objects in the scene represented; even if it is just a cube or crude shape. For me this is a great way to plan out everything and make sure you have all the different elements in the scene and see how they are playing together. As I said before, definitely a promising start! Looking forward to seeing how you can expand upon this and make it even better than the concept!  :)
    @RogelioD you stole what I was going to say! :wink:

Anyway, I agree - I think it would help to get some more structured geo in there for the rock wall areas.