Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UE4][ENV] Barren World Research Base

jth852
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
jth852 polycounter lvl 2
Most recent:

I started this new environment project about a week ago.  Its a off world research base designed for barren planets and moons. It is created mainly with basic geometry and made a tiling texture and trim texture.  I am still a beginner with substance designer but I manged to make a decent texture and exposed some elements like the color and amount of paint.  Then I also made the first trim sheet (which was a first for me).  I learned a lot, including more efficient UV layouts for game environments. I had not ever used any UV space outside of the 0,1 quadrant, or ever used trim sheets to texture before.  It was interesting making nice square uv layouts and stretching them to make the texel density look right.  Maya's new UV tools made a big help! So then I made some assets to break up the repetitive of each modular piece of the main base, made a smart material in substance painter as a solid base and added some extra stuff on top for extra variation.  All the while I’m making sure it all looks okay in UE4, but right now the extra assets are at a standard size and at the origin for baking good normal maps. They will eventually be placed at the appropriate scale and rotation in Maya. Then I can export each modular piece grouped with the extra panels and give it an additional texturing pass in substance painter.  Each piece of the base has its pivot point at the origin so I can tile pieces by rotating.  I still have some satellite dishes and more complicated assets in the works and I will make a terrain textured with substance designer and custom sky in Unreal (which is definitely going to be new, but fun).  It’ll be a lot of new stuff for me to learn about creating game environments but I’m excited.  Any crit or comments on work or workflow is more than welcome.  I'm trying to learn so I know I will be making mistakes!

Replies

• jth852
    Offline / Send Message
    jth852 polycounter lvl 2
    I made 3 different prefabs with blueprints.  I'm still new to UE4 so I have just started exploring that feature.  Made it easy to get a nice variation of the extra assets.  Gotta make a better texture for the door and finish off the last few extras next.

• jth852
    Offline / Send Message
    jth852 polycounter lvl 2
    Made my first custom skybox in UE4, and fixed up the lighting.  I feel like it makes a nice improvement.  Doing the ground and touching up the base texture along with a new one for the door then back to some prop modeling!

• jth852
    Offline / Send Message
    jth852 polycounter lvl 2
    Spent some time learning how to set up a substance material to paint a landscape in UE4 and played with my background a bit.  Now that I know this works well, I'll create a better landscape and paint more of the exposed parameters from my substance.

• jth852
    Offline / Send Message
    jth852 polycounter lvl 2

Been very busy with work and moving but I managed to get some work done and I think I'm just about done.  If you have any feedback I'd love to hear it! Any chance to make a cooler final result :)

Modeling and UV layout - maya, sculpting - zbrush, texturing - substance designer and painter, as well as photoshop
    rendered in UE4
  • jth852
    Offline / Send Message
    jth852 polycounter lvl 2
    Made some changes to make it have a more space station feel and less widespread random detail. Sill going to change a couple more things.
  • jth852
    Offline / Send Message
    jth852 polycounter lvl 2
    Made some more changes, fixed the lower resolution in the back. Made some more final adjustments.  Feeling like I almost got something I can call finished.