Home Technical Talk

[Maya-Substance Painter]UV, Normal baking and ugly edges

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Mahelix polycounter lvl 6
Hello,

I am currently modeling a Raging Bull revolver and after modeling the high and low poly versions, I have reached the baking part.

So, after exploding, unwrapping and rearranging, I exported the lowpoly to Substance Painter for the bakings (I use a 2048*2048 resolution in Substance Painter as well as 2x2 Antialiasing).

The problem is, my model has messy edges on many pieces such as the one shown below :

In order to provide as many element as possible to figure where the problem might come from, here are a couple screenshots from Maya :

(I'm only showing one piece, but my way of working is pretty similar with the other parts of the model so the issues they have might come from the same mistake(s) I must have made)

-The lowpoly version of the piece with the uv seams in bold (those edges are also hard edges, as those parts are pretty angular on the reference pictures, and I have heard that hard edges should always have their UV split) :

-The Highpoly version underneath the lowpoly :

-And finally, the position of the uv on the map and its configuration :

I have been scratching my head on this problem all day long and tried (among other things) to add bevels, smooth the whole thing, reduce the amount of uv islands etc, any advice would be more than helpful at this point ;)

Thank you in advance.

Replies

• jewski-bot
    Offline / Send Message
    jewski-bot polycounter lvl 4
    If you are baking in Substance Painter without a cage, you might consider setting the front distance to something like 0.015 (I think the default is 0.010). See if that helps.
  • Mahelix
    Offline / Send Message
    Mahelix polycounter lvl 6
    Hi @jewski-bot ! As I followed Tim Bergholz's tutorial on the AKM last month, he was also using 0.015 in his distances, so that might indeed be the way to improve how the baking looks. I'm still a bit green when it comes to how SP2 and baking work and I might still need to understand how the baking distance works exactly.

After learning his method on how to model weapons, I also decided to revamp the modeling of the revolver using his techniques (since the revolver was my first wing-it attempt at making a weapon by myself) and now here is the result :

And the faulty parts look clean now :^)

• jewski-bot
    Offline / Send Message
    jewski-bot polycounter lvl 4
    Looking good!  Another piece of advice that you might find useful is to use tri-planar projection in place of UV projection when available to help alleviate seams that creep in, though you'll have to test this on your own.  Keep on it, you're doing far better than I did when I started to learn baking!  It's a *****! :)