Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portfolio Review

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
ftsmith polycounter lvl 6
It's been a year since I graduated college and my "big break" into the gaming industry (or any industry) sadly never happened. Iv'e been told that the best and pretty much only thing I can do is to work on my portfolio. So after a year of working on my portfolio I would appreciate it if anyone can give a critique on the overall quality of it. You can be break it down and tear it apart as much or as little as you want, I just want the feedback and to see where I stand.

Portfolio - http://fuquansmith.wixsite.com/fuquansmith

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Looking at this overall, I am actually somewhat surprised you have only 3 pieces.  (EDIT: Nvm, I clicked Gallery)

Compound bow looks solid, could use better rendering (lighting set up, GI, etc.) to really sell it.  Different weathering patterns.

Tin bot looks alright.  Same opportunities for sexy shots as the compound bow.

Ice Cream needs less height intensity ont he body where the swirls are. The low poly does not support the normal map change, so it ends up looking more bad than good.  

The Chocolate syrup on the head has too many tangen breaks between the rings.  Connect them all as one; it's too disrtacting when they don't connect.  It ends up reading noisy.  It's an opportunity to tighten the look and composition of the Mat doll.

Not sure why I have to hit gallery to see ALL your art work.  Have it all on your front page.  It's an unnecessary annoyance/hiding.

Remove stormtrooper helmet and the origami crane; they are the weakest.

I'm also surprised that you haven't made a game yet, especially with the Full Sail education.  Did you not contribute to any prototypes or games during your time there or since then?

Resume:
    Achievements, i have to be honest, I don't see them as achivements.  That's regular Full Sail cirriculum.  Unless you somehow went above and beyond that, that's nothing to incredibly note.

Games and job experience come first, if you have any.

Thank you for letting your resume be copy and pastable.

Why do you have a donate button?  That doesn't make sense.

• Christian Cunningham
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Christian Cunningham polycounter lvl 10
    Really think about what you want to do. Right now it says 3D modeler or texture artist. What one do you want to be? Do you want to be an environment artist? Its kind of confusing. If you want to be an environment guy then make more environments, if you want to me a prop artist then nail down some more props, if you want to be a texture artist then show off zbrush sculpts and substance designer textures. I would ditch your website and just stick with art station.
  • ftsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ftsmith polycounter lvl 6
    Thanks for the critiques. You guys gave me a lot to think about and consider. I will definitely change the things you guys mentioned. 

As for the Full Sail stuff: I did do some prototyping but it was very short and I never had the opportunity for long term stuff. But that's just a lame excuse.