Home Animation Showcase & Critiques

Animation Challenge: Respawn

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Rmunday polycounter lvl 9
So this is my first time participating in an animation challenge. I don't expect to win but what I do expect to do is focus on one project with the sole purpose of learning, participating and improving. 

Below is my very rough first blocking. I am going to really try push my poses, I will be adding some squash and stretch to the box, almost like its Spitting the character out.

Let me know what you think, I am trying to keep the idea simple to be able to do it within the deadline and within my ability.

https://syncsketch.com/sketch/160239#194710

Replies

• AnthonyAnimation
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AnthonyAnimation greentooth
    Glad to have you join! You have a solid idea. Like you said, blocking you should focus on strong poses and timing. Right now the landing seems too slow and the return to idle seems too quick. It's also never too early to watch arcs. With the poses really pay attention to the silhouette. The last pose can be more dynamic, right now the left arm is getting lost.
  • Luk0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Luk0 polycounter lvl 4
    In terms of composition, maybe you could look at changing where that box lid lands, to keep her silhouette as clean as possible. Instead of it being right behind her, maybe have it shoot off screen to the left over a few frames as she jumps out. 
  • Rmunday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for the feedback, will go ahead and start pushing the timings and the poses. Will also take a look at the lid, I thought it would bea distraction but also saw it as an opportunity to add a bit more interest to the shot! Will play around, thanks.
  • Hito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hito interpolator
    Solid start man. based on what you said so far, I think you can take it in two divergent directions.

If the box is spitting the character out, it could be more comedic, the character could be less confident and acrobatic, little less than a perfect landing, and transition to idle pose with less self assurance.

the other direction, the character is bursting out of the box on his/her own accord. maybe start with a fist or foot, throwing the lid completely off screen, character leaps out, settles, then the lid lands at the end in the scene somewhere, maybe off in the distance to show depth of the space. or the lid could come down during the settle, and character cuts it apart before it hits the ground, and strikes action pose for the end.
  • Rmunday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks man, I have gone the more "Confident" route. I have changed the final pose entirely to give it a nice readable silhouette. Really excited to see what else I can do with this one. Plenty of time off work coming up so that means plenty of hours to dedicate to this! Will be updating with my second blocking in the next day or so :)
  • Rmunday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Back again with some more progress, as suggested I have sped up the land and slowed the return to idle. Some posing tweaks. Once again, feedback is always welcome before I move forward to the wonderful first spline! 

https://syncsketch.com/sketch/160239#195225
  • AGoodFella
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AGoodFella polycounter lvl 5
    I would make his left arm more readable at f45.

His back foot looks broken at f74.

Solid start! Just curious, are you using reference for this?
  • Rmunday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have some tumbling videos open, mainly for the starting poses and the flip in the air. The landing I have eyed a bit. Thank you for the points though, will keep hammering away to get these poses looking nice.
  • Rmunday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Back with the first spline pass, also changed the landing up to better account for the balance and force applied from landing.

https://syncsketch.com/sketch/160239#196527
  • AGoodFella
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool. A few notes:

I think the box could use some texture in timings at the start. It could have a slower movement one direction and then a much quicker motion in the opposite direction. You have a little bit but I feel like it could be pushed a lot more.

f45 - I feel like his left leg could be stretched here.

f52 - You have a weight problem here. When things are airborne, their sideways motion is usually constant. Here, it slows down and becomes stuck and then moves quickly again into f59. I'm just talking about the Z motion here.

f59 - Throughout here, I feel like his right arm need to be visible for a better silhoette.

f58 - Body feel s like it's slowing down here when it's falling. The spacing should be getting larger.

f70 - right ankle looks busted.

f90 - Left arm feels awkward here. Relax it.

f106 - His right foot has a lot of foot roll. I'm not sure why. If it's because all his weight is on his left leg, I'm not reading it.

Maybe just delay the lid falling down a tad more so it happens when the character is in his idle state.

• Rmunday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome, thank you for the detailed feedback! Will make sure to sort those points. 
  • Archanex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Archanex polycounter lvl 18
    hey Rmunday, I just left you some notes on sync sketch, some of it is subjective, so feel free to ignore some (or all) of the suggestions. Good luck!
  • Rmunday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Much obliged @Archanex will make sure to take a gander and consider it all!
  • Rmunday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Back again with another update, tweaked the Z on the COG to keep the sideways movement constant, adjusted the landing to stop the ankle breaking, adjusted the timings I felt the recover to idle was a touch too slow, almost like a robot getting into position. 

I have also began to use motion trails to track the curves of the main appendages, it is such a useful tool! 

https://syncsketch.com/sketch/160239#198114
  • AGoodFella
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool. Aft f67, I feel the body's rotation stops for a frame or 2.

Arms feel twinny at f80
  • Rmunday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Once again, thank you will offset the arms and take a look at the body rotation before I move onto polishing!
  • Rmunday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Back with a first polishing pass focusing on foot contacts, finger and wrist movement. Once again, any feedback is appreciated.

https://syncsketch.com/sketch/160239#199448
  • Akrome
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Akrome null
    A little detail, but I think the lid falls too close to the box (based on the camera angle), so it's not immediately clear wether it falls on the ground behind it or bounces on top of it
  • AGoodFella
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice, I feel the weight when he lands.

Agree with the above. The end pose feels awkward to me with the footroll and the way the arms are positioned. The right arm needs to be more relaxed. I still feel like the left arm could be better. Since, you're polishing, try to get some interesting finger poses as well.

Keep it up.
  • Rmunday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you once again @AGoodFella will have a play with the final pose, the one I have currently is the most readable I landed on but will tweak it some more, get it feeling nice.