Home Marmoset

Material ID Colour/Material issue.

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
hopgood polycounter lvl 12
Hi,

I've become a big fan of Marmoset Toolbag 3's baking since I started playing around with it on a recent project. I'm really impressed at the control and options I have but one thing I have had issues with is the Material ID. 

in Zbrush I am exporting my FBX with each subtool representing a different baking group and polygroups within those subtools representing different material IDs. When exporting I am using the "export Polygroups as Mats" option.

One tool has 3 Polygroups for 3 different materials. The other 2 are just a single polygroup. When I import this model into Substance Painter and do a bake of the Material ID with the baking options set the Material Colour I get a usable output.

However, When I import these same models into Marmoset the baking groups with a single polygroup/material aren't assigned a unique ID. They end up being assigned the same material as the first polygroup in the first baking group.

The Material ID bake also reflects this as those two baking groups just show up as Red, the same as the first ID in the other baking group. From what I can see it looks to work on an increment, assigning Red -> Green -> Blue as new materials are detected. But that increment doesn't carry from baking group to baking group.

So far the only solutions I have found have been to manually create extra materials and assign them to the high poly in Marmoset. Not a huge deal but needlessly time consuming. I could also bake the polygroups to colours and bake an Albedo/Vertex Colour map but if I want to do any polypainting to lay down some base colours that isn't an option.

Is there something I am missing with how I should be using Material ID's in Marmoset? I love the options available to me so far but this is the only one giving me issues.

Cheers.

Replies

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How it works in Toolbag is that each mesh object can have multiple material IDs, and each material id can have a unique material applied to it. You can also apply the same material to multiple material ids. If you're seeing 3 colors but have 5 material ids, chances are you have the same material applied to multiple ids, which is why manually applying a new material to the other sections fixes it.

I'm not familiar enough with zBrush to know if there is a way to fix this before exporting, but I would imagine making sure each material id uses a unique material would do it.