Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] BULLET PROOF VEST (WARNING:Noob Modeler Here)

Dinoduck
null
Offline / Send Message
Dinoduck null
Hi there, I'm a noob at 3d modeling, this mesh I'm about to show you is probably going to make many of you experienced folks cry, but that's what I'm here for is so I can get some advice. I'm trying to make a 3d bullet proof vest in blender. I currently have the vest in a mirror modifier which is why it appears to be split in half... It's my first ever 3d model. I am using the base skeleton from fallout 4 as a mold basically, as I hope to eventually mod this into the game. The vest is going to be based of of joshua graham's bullet proof vest, from fallout new vegas. This is just a personal project I am doing for fun. But I'm serious about trying to get this right. Any advice to help correct my mesh would be gladly appreciated. I get that it's a bad model, I just am not sure what I should do to improve it. I want to fix my major problems now, before I move onto making it one piece.
This is my reference

Replies

• luck6
    Offline / Send Message
    luck6 polycounter lvl 10
    try keeping it simple. I see you drawing a lot of polygons without really having any use of them. Maybe you can look around on the internet for some good topology tutorials. Your poly lines should be smooth and following the overall shape of the body.
  • RustySpannerz
    Offline / Send Message
    RustySpannerz polycounter lvl 13
    Honestly, if you're trying to improve in 3D I would watch some tutorials get your head around basic modelling, and then come back to this at a later time. 
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Is this for the high poly model or low poly?
  • Dinoduck
    Offline / Send Message
    Dinoduck null
    Replies (thanks)
    [spoiler]
    luck6 said:
    try keeping it simple. I see you drawing a lot of polygons without really having any use of them. Maybe you can look around on the internet for some good topology tutorials. Your poly lines should be smooth and following the overall shape of the body.
    I have looked up tutorials on topology  since I've posted this and have tried to correct the mesh as best as possible. It took hours but I think I made it look much better.
    Honestly, if you're trying to improve in 3D I would watch some tutorials get your head around basic modelling, and then come back to this at a later time. 
    I'm not really looking to be the best modeler out there, more so just make this vest the best I can make it, so it doesn't look like garbage when I import it into the game.
    Is this for the high poly model or low poly?
    I'm trying to make it a high poly model I guess? Currently my polycount is roughly 6000 so its not anything too drastic. it just needs to be able to render well within game without compromising other items, but other than that, I'm not working with any set limit.[/spoiler]
    Thanks for the feedback guys.
    One of them has triangulated faces because i believe they need to be in order for the game to render them, Not sure if the game itself converts them, but I know that games require triangulated faces.
    this is the progress I have made:
    [spoiler][spoiler]

I then Turned it into this:
    [spoiler]

[/spoiler]
    I know its not the best model of all time, but I'm really proud of the progress I made on this, It took a lot of work to try to get my old mesh into something like this.

The problem I am currently facing now, is trying to create a UV map for this so I can apply a texture. This vest has multiple objects attached to it, but it needs to be one item within the game if that makes sense. I have looked up tutorials on how to UV map, but I'm still confused as hell. Can anyone explain to me how I should UV map an item like this?