Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Athena

greentooth
Offline / Send Message
HazelTheHobbit greentooth
New character lets goooo.

After a pinterest binge I decided to make the Greek Goddess Athena in her battle attire.

I've got a rough concept down and I think I'll be doing the rest as I go.

Struggling quite a lot on the anatomy already- I've been noodling around with proportions and amount of muscle all day. I want her to look powerful and strong but don't want her to look like a beefy bodybuilder.

If you have any critique/feedback on my anatomy please throw it my way :smiley:

Replies

• jacopoS
    Offline / Send Message
    jacopoS polycounter
    Hi,
    I think you got a pretty good balance already with the general proportions. The only thing I would personally change for a character like her is to make her arms a tiny bit thicker. I only say that because it's Athena we are talking about. Otherwise she looks pretty well balanced.

The overall anatomy looks pretty solid to me. Make sure the deltoid reaches the humerus half point. For some reason, we have a tendency to perceive the deltoid as shorter than it really is but it's actually half the length of the humerus!
  • HazelTheHobbit
    Offline / Send Message
    @jacopoS Thankyou! Yes definitely gotta have beefier arms! Thanks for the point on the deltoid- I'd never noticed that but now you mention it it seems obvious haha
  • HazelTheHobbit
    Offline / Send Message
    A few hours progress on her today, working a little more on the anatomy and also blocking in some armour pieces. Not sure what it is but something still seems off to me- I feel like she looks kinda stylised but I'm not sure whether that's just because of the early stage that I'm at.

• jacopoS
    Offline / Send Message
    jacopoS polycounter
    Yes, overall she looks a bit stylised. I think that's going to get better with practice, anatomy study, and the use of good references.
    You're already on the right track. It will just take some time and dedication. ;)

I think her upper legs could be improved pretty drasticly by simply separating the quadriceps from the abductors. It's an easy fix but it makes a huge difference in my experience. The silhouette should bulge out in the higher half and then go down a bit more straight and wrap below the knee.

Also one thing I would put some special attention is the elbow joint since that's going to be visible in the final piece.
    As it is right now, I get the impression that her ridge muscles are originating a bit too low.
    In the image below, you can see the ridge muscles shape on a bent elbow and that starts pretty high on the arm. Although the pose is different, you still have to keep that in mind since that's going to have an impact on the silhouette!

Hope this is helpful!
  • HazelTheHobbit
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback!
    Just some small updates, not really sure how I'm feeling about it at the moment so I might leave her for a week or two and work on something else and then come back with fresh eyes :)