Home Technical Talk

Full Technical Breakdown for Mission: ISS on Oculus VR

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
LTS3D polycounter lvl 5

I recently spent some time breaking down our entire process for the development of Mission:ISS, specifically the exterior of the space station. This is my first time going this in-depth on a topic so I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts! You can view it on the our webpage or download the PDF version that is attached. It includes the entire process from start to finish. Modeling, UV'ing, Texturing, Unity, and final look development.

http://missioniss.magnopus.com/iss-breakdown.html

-Luke Schloemer
3D Artist @ MAGNOPUS

Replies

• Quack!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quack! polycounter lvl 17
    Cool, was a good read and thanks for sharing your experience!
  • Jedairusz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jedairusz polycounter lvl 13
    Thanks for sharing. You can use Standard Shader in Unity without additional texture to AO or height.

Albedo = RGB Albedo Color, A Alpha (optional)
    Metallic = R Metalness, A Smoothness
    Normal = RGB Normals
    Height = G Height
    Occlusion = G Occlusion

so, that's work in Standard Shader:
    4k Base Color - RGB - 10.7MB

4k Metallic/Smoothness/Occlusion RGBA - 21.3MB

4k Normal Map - RGBnm - 21.3MB

• jth852
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jth852 polycounter lvl 2
    Thanks for the awesome breakdown.  I'm actually designing a space type scene for my game environment portfolio and I hope I can get something that looks this good as an end result! The lighting is really impressive.  is the space background a skybox? And if so, do you have any physical lighting from the background (like light reflected from earth) on top of the three light setup your breakdown mentions? I'm definitely going to check this out on the oculus
  • LTS3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LTS3D polycounter lvl 5
    @jth852: The space background is a skybox and then the Earth is a rotating shader. We baked in the earth reflection using reflection captures in Unity. All lighting in the scene was 100% baked there were no realtime lights in the scene except for the spinning satellite haha.
  • kanga
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Thanx for the breakdown. Will read it in total this evening :smile:
    Cheers
  • Regus12
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Regus12 null
    Ooo. That's a lot of detail packed in there. Very nice breakdown as well. Thanks for posting it!