Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Artstation challenge Continued..

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
artofmars polycounter lvl 9
Didn't have a lot of time to work on this one so I figured I would finish it and post it here. 
Heres the Concept of the "illusionist" by Didier Nguyen
https://www.artstation.com/artist/kyu

Heres the last progress shot during the competition.

Replies

• artofmars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And here is the most recent screenshot from zbrush 

• Svartberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Svartberg quad damage
    Hey man.
    Great progress so far. A couple of points I'd like to offer opinion on.
    1.  Shapes inside the robe.
    There's a juicy shape at the waistline on the concept, it works well with red ribbons and mirrors top chestplate edge. it's also very much in line with the character's sharp look. I don't know if you were planning on tuning it some more, but on your latest progress shot it looks refined enough to give an impression that it's final.
    Chest plate. Concept doesn't really show it clearly, but there's a pretty large bevel going along the edge of the plate and Its' corners are sharper than on the model. Adding a large bevel to this element will help its' readability. Right now, the shape would be almost lost to the viewer if looked at from upfront. 

2. Pants.
    Pants are looking good so far. However, there are some areas of caution that maybe need some attention along the workflow.
    These are mainly concentrated at the bottom, where folds change direction and generaly break their line of flow.
    I would advise to check out some reference and, if you're having trouble resolving folds on these particular pants, you may probably want to add some structure to them, like layering or some tucked parts. The concept is very stylized and allows for some interpretation.
    Indian Dhoti and Afghani pants are your best bet reference-wise

• artofmars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the in depth critique @Svartberg !! Im really glad you brought up the armor I was struggling with / avoiding it because I wasn't quite sure how it worked. Im definitely going to take your comments and integrate them. I reworked the back of the pants and am working on making the front feel as natural Ill post an update soon!

Thanks for the kind words and the critique! 
  • artofmars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    been working on this on and off, a lot re-sculpting of some parts that didnt feel right
    i'd love any comments and critiques especially on the face. im trying to make sure it feels good before I had the secondary details 

• lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    Looks really cool, great concept as well. I think the pants are the weakest spot atm, the folds look a bit fake and dont really have a realistic ending(or whatever you call the sleave end on pants) at the feet.
  • artofmars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks lotet! They are now called pants sleeve ends, and yea I've been struggling with them. Gonna try a cleaner and sharper feel to them
  • artofmars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright recently funemployed and Ive gotten to do some work on this, however I am stuck at a stylistic crossroads. I was aiming for a dishonored 2 style feel but the more i Work it i feel the concept doesnt lean towards that. 

So heres the question. drop the micro details or leave them id love to hear anyones thoughts 

With Details: 

no beard

alright now with no tiny details

Im leaning toward no details and using the details face to do a different project. 
    Any comments are welcome!
  • artofmars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finally finished the Hi Poly on this guy, looking forward to wrapping him up :] 
    https://www.artstation.com/artwork/Kl3NX

Rendered him in Marmoset 3 really loving it so far 

• Isunoj
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isunoj polycounter lvl 9
    Cool! Keep going!
  • artofmars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks! I use Marmoset 3 to render @Optimus
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    Wow, looks amazing, love the render! 
  • Irensay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Irensay polycounter lvl 6
    nice job!!! really cool
  • adrxzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adrxzero polycount sponsor
    Great work Dan! also congrats on being on the front page!
  • artofmars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks so much @adrxzero we need to get together soon, maybe do an Anet class of 2017 reunion or something! 
  • artofmars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Its been awhile but finally calling this guy done! 
    maybe pose it later, let me know if theres any process questions.
    Link to Artstation post with Marmoset file: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/Dx51bn

Alternate costume set so he can work on his farmers tan!