Home Technical Talk

Sculpted a Xenomorph egg, wondering how to tackle the low poly in max

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Spode polycounter lvl 3
Hello there,

Ive recently completed my first asset where the majority of the work was completed in Zbrush. I've been playing around with the freeform tools in max a little bit but nothing is quite looking right when i use them, and i feel like there are more efficient ways to go about this. Im wondering if you guys have any better techniques to utilise for something such as this, that im probably missing : D

Ive included an image of my sculpt in max, clocks in at like 900k Polys after decimation. Its my first attempt at his so its not the best it can be, but im pretty happy with how its going.

Replies

• Spode
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spode polycounter lvl 3
    Sorry, my bad, completed eluded me to put in my target tri count. 

Something around 10, 000 tris, or below. Im making it with the intent of it being a portfolio piece rather than an environment prop, so id assume that around that number seems fair for such a model?
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    How to tackle the lowpoly? Just non-uniform scale a sphere primitive. And use a conform tool/script to get the silhouette. Bake the details.
  • Larry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Larry interpolator
    i dont believe you are familiar with the process, this can be made with like, 64 polygons, around 100tris and in 30 minute time, if you are familiar with the process. You have to sculpt the high poly, then bring it to the lowest subdivision level (which could be a 64 stretched sphere to shape an egg) and extract the normal map from the high poly and apply it to the low poly. These props should be taking as little triangle count as possible, because a game engine has a limited amount of triangles that you can use to make a game graphic lag-free.