Home General Discussion

SIGGRAPH 2017

greentooth
Offline / Send Message
marks greentooth
Boom. 

Who else is going? Would be great to hang out with some other polycounters, maybe grab a beer one night

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    I just got a Conference Select pass.  I'd be down to hang
  • Eric Chadwick
    Anyone else going this year? Looks like work might be footing the bill to get me there, take in a few courses. Looking forward to some foodtruck mex too.

http://s2017.siggraph.org/

I'll probably be in town Saturday night thru Thursday afternoon. Anyone interested in a chat over a beer or a whiskey?

• marks
    Offline / Send Message
    marks greentooth
    myself and @radiancef0rge are also going
  • radiancef0rge
    Offline / Send Message
    radiancef0rge ngon master
    yeah - I think I'll be there all the days.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    I have a Conference pass.

What do i do with it?

Can I hang out with someone.  I have no idea how to maximize SIGGRAPH.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Cool! I'll hang out with all y'all.

Lots of courses look interesting to me, but gotta catch up with people too. Would be great to meet you guys in person. Will keep in touch.
  • Joshua Godwin
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Godwin polycounter lvl 4
    I went last year and will be going this year because I  got a free exhibits plus pass. Same as previous commenters I would love to meet up with other polycounters.
  • marks
    Offline / Send Message
    marks greentooth
    Hey so we are going to try to meet up at Rhythm Rooms (https://www.google.co.uk/maps?q=rhythm+room+downtown+la&oe=utf-8&gws_rd=cr&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj-9b3l8ZjVAhVSOMAKHZDrB3wQ_AUICigB) from 7pm onwards on Sat 29th - PM me for phone numbers and details if youre interested ! 
  • FAT_CAP
    Offline / Send Message
    FAT_CAP polycounter lvl 18
    I'll be there for the first time this year.  Interested to check out some of the talks but would be cool to try and meet some of you guys too if I get some time and there's anyone around.
  • Joshua Godwin
    Offline / Send Message
    Is anyone else located around the Orange County, Ca area. I'm in Costa Mesa and was planning on attending Sunday and Tuesday but I don't think I have any way of getting there on Saturday at the moment (not unless I ride my bike for a very, very long time)

Just a long shot but I figured some of you might be locals :smile:

P.S. I can cover the cost of fuel if needed
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    I might do Sunday, @Joshua Godwin

• Eric Chadwick
    Unfortunately Saturday won't work for me, going to be with family all day + dinner. I'll get the rest of my schedule sorted out though, and suggest a potential meetup # 2. Would be good to meet y'all and hoist a few.
  • Joshua Godwin
    Offline / Send Message
    @Brian "Panda" Choi If You are fine with taking me Sunday then it would save my parents a drive and I'm sure they would be eternally grateful, but I should be able to manage Sunday if it doesn't work.
  • marks
    Offline / Send Message
    marks greentooth
    Unfortunately Saturday won't work for me, going to be with family all day + dinner. I'll get the rest of my schedule sorted out though, and suggest a potential meetup # 2. Would be good to meet y'all and hoist a few.
    A few of us are going to the Epic user group on monday evening (theres a free eventbrite signup to get a ticket). Otherwise weds eve looks free for me
  • Dataday
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    Lots of VR this year.... like practically every other booth was dealing with VR in some form.

I miss Pixologic's presence though. Zbrush summit down at Gnomon just isnt the same...
  • r_fletch_r
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    Dataday said:
    Lots of VR this year.... like practically every other booth was dealing with VR in some form.

I miss Pixologic's presence though. Zbrush summit down at Gnomon just isnt the same...
    Yeah the glut of VR got very old very fast, nothing seemed even close to a product yet. Everyone and their dog is pushing cloud based VDI too (anyone tried that).  I think the BOF sessions were the highlight for me, lots go good folks sharing info.
  • marks
    Offline / Send Message
    marks greentooth
    Tech papers were tight, loads of really good stuff in there. Easily the best part for me
  • FAT_CAP
    Offline / Send Message
    Forgot to check this page again so totally missed any meetups :(

As a first timer at Siggraph, I feel as a Character Artist working in game-dev, I definitely felt like got the least out of this trip  from the group I was in (Rendering Engineers/ Tech Art and me).  The art specific talks were mostly quite high level and didn't delve too much into the inner workings and deep into cool tips and tricks as I'd hoped.

Saw some really inspirational imagery though but feel like I missed out on the REAL meat of the show slightly!
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    You feel my pain Chester
  • Joshua Godwin
    Offline / Send Message
    Unfortunately none of the times worked for meeting you guys. Yea I feel like Siggraph doesn't have too much to offer if you aren't like a dev or something. I didn't even see an unreal booth this year.
  • FAT_CAP
    Offline / Send Message
    Glad I'm not the only one who felt this.  Would be good to know if I just missed out on all the cool stuff or if GDC generally a better shout for gamedevs?
  • Eric Chadwick
    There was a ton of great stuff for me. Especially the PBR talks, Pixar showing their shader work on Cars3, etc.

Here are the slides & papers

http://bit.ly/s17shaders
  • Aabel
    Offline / Send Message
    Aabel polycounter lvl 6
    FAT_CAP said:
    Glad I'm not the only one who felt this.  Would be good to know if I just missed out on all the cool stuff or if GDC generally a better shout for gamedevs?
    Yes, GDC is a lot better for game devs, especially artists. Siggraph is an academic research driven convention. The whole purpose is to present research on the cutting edge of computer graphics. Everything else is secondary and designed to take advantage of so many like minded people gathered in one place.
  • marks
    Offline / Send Message
    marks greentooth
    It isn't really about being a "gamedev". There are tons of "gamedevs" at siggraph. But they're mostly graphics programmers and technical artists. It isn't, and never has been, targeted at artists. I'm surprised that you're surprised by this. I thought this year was one of the worse ones though to be honest, and I didn't think the PBR course was actually that good this year either. On the other hand, myself and a couple of the people I went with got loads out of it. (edit: although yes, almost everything interesting we were excited about was academic research, but it provided tentative solutions to very real production problems).
  • FAT_CAP
    Offline / Send Message
    Eric Chadwick - thanks for those slides!  Our renderring engineers attended those talks and had very good things to say about them- interesting to be able to see what they were looking at.
    marks said:
    It isn't really about being a "gamedev". There are tons of "gamedevs" at siggraph. But they're mostly graphics programmers and technical artists. It isn't, and never has been, targeted at artists. I'm surprised that you're surprised by this. I thought this year was one of the worse ones though to be honest, and I didn't think the PBR course was actually that good this year either. On the other hand, myself and a couple of the people I went with got loads out of it. (edit: although yes, almost everything interesting we were excited about was academic research, but it provided tentative solutions to very real production problems).
    Yeah, I realise that Siggraph is an academic conference and more focused towards the technical side of graphics and am not "surprised" by that at all.  The difference in the depth between the more rendering focused talks and the more art based presentations was what I didn't expect- having never attended before.  The catchall term of "Gamedev" was probably a poor choice of words by myself though for sure!

Anyway - I wasn't really aiming to rustle any feathers by my comments- just seeing if I'd missed anything from the experience and if it was normally that light for art content, and if it was worth me going next year or rather giving my place up to another engineer or pure tech artist.
  • 0xffff
    Offline / Send Message
    0xffff polycounter lvl 3
    Yeah the art talks kinda sucked this year