Home Adobe Substance

Substance Designer: Irregular Brick Pattern Help

wclinker
vertex
Offline / Send Message
wclinker vertex
I'm new to Substance Designer and having issues replicating the irregular brick pattern (inside the two windows) in the reference image below.
I've experimented with tile/ brick generators but the brick shapes are too similar whereas tile random creates lots of great shapes but doesn't place the bricks in a realistic order. Is there any way I can get a mixture of long, thin, square, tall and regular sized bricks in one image whilst maintaining a normal brick pattern?

Replies

• Haytch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haytch polycounter lvl 9
    There's two different ways you can do that, 1 is to create a brick shape & blend it with a second to have multiple bricks, or two is to play with the offset and scale of the bricks which will give you a random size. I'll try and make something similar to show you and post it
  • Haytch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haytch polycounter lvl 9
    This is Number# 1:

Create a Shape Node & Add it to a Tile --GENERATOR--

Using the tile generator change the middle size to about .31 or more or less, which will give some variation, Then Give the offset between .5 to 3.5

Same with the Offset random.

This will allow for some good variation in the Bricks.

2nd Way:

Using the Tile --GENERATOR-- (None of these work good on the sampler.)

Before doing the shape as above, Blend the shape with a second Shape Like this.
    Invert the shape and use a transform 2D with no Tile & Blend it with the original Brick using the shape as a Mask, you'll get this look.

Hope this helps.
  • Bletzkarn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bletzkarn polycounter lvl 6
    In the original image there are a mix of vertical and horizontal bricks, which the default generator doesn't seem to support.